VeriPlan Overview 1: Personal Finance Decisions
VeriPlan Overview: Part 1 of 7
Improving personal finance decisions with VeriPlan
VeriPlan gives you significant personal insight into your most important personal finance and investment portfolio decisions. Through comprehensive and customized lifetime projections, VeriPlan’s integrated financial calculators and investment calculators model your particular financial situation across your adult lifetime. VeriPlan projects fully integrated scenarios about your income, expense budget, debts, investment portfolio assets, investment returns, and investment costs within the context of the U.S. federal, state, and local income taxes that apply to you. VeriPlan presents all your personal lifetime financial modeling information in clear graphics and data tables.
You can easily customize any of your personal data and settings in VeriPlan. After you make any modification, VeriPlan’s financial calculators and investment calculators automatically and instantaneously revise your complete lifetime projection. As you use VeriPlan’s rich set of fully integrated “what if” financial modeling tools, you take control of your own financial, investment, and retirement planning.
Personal Users: VeriPlan helps self-directed personal users to understand the possible future implications of current financial planning behaviors. VeriPlan projections model the lifetime finances of one or two adult users and their dependents. Any family member who resides in the same household may use VeriPlan.
Advisory Users: VeriPlan is a valuable tool for financial advisors who serve the fiduciary interests of their financial planning clients. Advisors can obtain a right-to-use VeriPlan on behalf of their clients, when they provide VeriPlan to their clients.
VeriPlan can help you to analyze important personal finance decisions, including:
- What tradeoffs are associated with accelerating mortgage loan payments or other debt repayments?
- Will I be have enough college savings to pay for my children’s education?
- How could my savings rate and investment strategy affect the size of my estate?
- After my living expenses, how much could I give or bequeath to family and charities?
- How large might my exposures to insurable financial risks be over time?
- How might different budgets for insurance premiums affect my lifecycle financial plan?
Investment Cost Reduction:
- What investment returns might I earn net of investment costs?
- How much could I waste on unproductive investment costs?
- How might I optimize my investment returns, while keeping costs to a minimum?
- How does my current investment strategy compare with a scientific strategy focused on long-term, risk-adjusted returns net of investment costs and capital gains tax?
Investment Risk Management:
- What returns might I expect from the balance of expected investment returns and investment risks that I have chosen?
- Am I saving enough to stay in my investment risk and return comfort zone and still reach my financial planning goals?
- If I were to lose income in the future, how long would my liquid investment portfolio assets cover my projected expense budget?
New Business Ventures:
- What are the likely long-term benefits and risks, if I fore-go current income to start a business?
- Could I self-fund my business venture or would I need external capital?
Personal Career Planning:
- What are the long-term economic benefits of changing positions or employers?
- Would returning to school to improve my career skills make economic sense?
- Could starting a business lead to both entrepreneurial and financial success?
Real Estate Planning:
- When will I have sufficient capital for a real estate purchase?
- How would increased mortgage debt affect my investment portfolio and other financial goals?
- Would I have sufficient investment assets to retire early?
- Would my investment assets be adequate to cover my expenses, if I live a very long time?
- What is a relatively safe asset portfolio withdrawal plan?
- Am I saving at a sufficient rate to fund all our future financial planning goals?
- How much benefit might I expect from increasing my income and/or reducing my expense budget?
- What is the long-term value of saving most of my bonus?
- Am I managing my investments from an income tax efficiency standpoint?
- How much should I put into either taxable, traditional retirement accounts, or Roth retirement accounts?
- Would my retirement portfolio assets be adequate after my income taxes and other taxes are paid?
Personal Financial Planning Software for Individuals
- Lifetime Savings Rate Calculator (Understand the current savings rate that is sufficient to meet your lifetime personal savings needs
If wealth were to be measured solely as assets currently owned, then financial and investment planning would be relatively simple. However, a much broader view is necessary. While higher income and more current assets obviously help, consumption differences between one person [...])
- Traditional Versus Roth IRA Decisions (Roth retirement investment strategies have a long payback period
When financial planners, investment advisers, and brokers advise their clients to convert their traditional IRA assets into Roth assets or to make annual Roth contributions rather than make alternative tax-deductible retirement account contributions, are asking for a huge leap of faith. Such proposals suggest that it would [...])
- How to Use the VeriPlan Comprehensive Financial Planner (Developing a Family Financial Plan with VeriPlan
VeriPlan is personally customizable financial planning software that helps you develop your own comprehensive lifetime financial and investment plan for your family. Functioning as financial decision support software, it automates millions of integrated projection calculations behind the scenes. With VeriPlan you can improve your financial decision-making, because you are [...])
- 2014-01: January 2014 What Works in Personal Finance Newsletter (
- VeriPlan Overview 3: Your Income and Debt Projections (VeriPlan Overview: Part 3 of 7
Your income and debts in VeriPlan
The VeriPlan financial planning software with its wide variety of fully integrated financial calculators and investment calculators uses your inputs about your financial situation and investment portfolio to develop your current projection baseline. VeriPlan collects the following personal financial information:
Your Initial Ages:
VeriPlan is a lifetime projection [...])
- Roth IRA Conversion Calculator (Best Roth Conversion Calculator
This is the first part of a three-part article on Roth retirement account contributions, Roth IRA contribution calculators, and traditional IRA to Roth IRA conversion calculators and strategies.
Part 2) Evaluating Roth IRA Conversions --->
Part 3) Roth IRA Calculators --->
The Roth IRA Conversion Media Storm
The Roth IRA conversion and designated Roth 401k conversion [...])
- Improve Your Finances with My Books, Software & Newsletter (Many people are confused and frustrated, because they do not have the knowledge and tools that they need to plan their financial futures efficiently and optimally. Addressing these problems, these ebooks and financial planning software will help you to get moving along your own path toward better lifetime and retirement financial planning and investing.
“Buyers Guide [...])
- Buying low cost mutual funds and ETFs (Do your mutual fund and ETF investment research – and do it BEFORE you buy
Screened mutual fund and ETF lists are very helpful to any investor who wishes to focus on low cost mutual funds and ETFs. However, this is just the beginning of the investment process and not the end. Always understand any security [...])
- Exchange-traded funds (ETFs) versus mutual funds (Exchange-traded funds (ETFs) versus mutual funds
This article provides information about low cost ETFs, which account for only a few percent of the thousand plus ETFs and other exchange-traded products (ETPs) available to US investors. This article covers certain topics related to ETFs that are important to the investor who intends to use very low cost [...])
- Home Buying Calculator (Plan the future purchase of homes with a sophisticated home buying calculator
VeriPlan's fully integrated and automated financial calculators and financial software tools deliver financial planning power to the individual. VeriPlan's home buying calculator tool automates the lifetime financial planning process associated with future residential home purchases. VeriPlan's home buyer calculator functionality automatically take into [...])
- 401k Fees and Expenses (401k Fees and Expenses
Finding information about the costs of employer-sponsored defined contribution plans is difficult, because for years weak regulations have allowed the financial industry to obscure these costs and gouge millions of retirement plan participants. This has made it difficult for both employers and plan participants to understand the true costs of these retirement [...])
- Are ETF expenses really lower than mutual funds? (Are ETF management expenses really lower than mutual fund management expenses?
Yes and no. When you look at the full range of ETF management expense ratios, you find the most ETFs have a management expense ratio under 1% per year. In contrast, the average expense ratio for mutual funds exceeds 1%, so obviously the majority mutual [...])
- Stock Asset Allocation (Project the value of your stock and equity assets across your lifetime
To develop your investment growth projections, VeriPlan's stock investment calculator software allows you can enter as many as 99 separate stock and equity asset holdings. For each of your current stock and equity holdings, you can also enter your investment portfolio costs and your [...])
- VeriPlan Overview 7: Satisfaction Guarantee, Documentation, and Household License (VeriPlan Overview: Part 7 of 7
VeriPlan financial software satisfaction guarantee, licensing, documentation, and system platform information
All of VeriPlan's worksheets provide extensive and readily available documentation. A separate manual about VeriPlan's personal financial management software and investment growth calculator features is not necessary, because all necessary instructions are in the software where you need them. Nevertheless, the [...])
- Too few low cost mutual funds and ETFs (Too few low cost mutual funds and ETFs – Far too many high cost funds
In screening and selecting low cost mutual funds and ETFs, you should understand this involves sorting and screening thousands of mutual funds and ETFs using databases from data vendors such as Morningstar and/or Lipper. It is shameful just how few low cost [...])
- Tactical asset allocation and market timing (The best individual financial planning and investment rules and practices are enduring and should not change due to market cycles or a financial crisis.
This article looks at asset allocation strategy in light of the recent credit crisis. The credit crisis was a systemic, global financial event that affected any financial or securities instrument influenced [...])
- Evaluating Roth IRA Conversions (Evaluating Roth IRA Conversions
This is the second part of a three-part article on Roth conversions, including information about Roth IRA conversion calculators and Roth IRA investment calculators. This article could help you to make a more informed decision about your family's Roth investment strategy. Key to you making a better decision about your lifetime Roth [...])
- Sitemap (
- About (
About the author
Lawrence J. Russell is the author of this website and the books offered through this website. He is also the architect and developer of the VeriPlan software discussed on this website. He holds a BS from M.I.T. (1975), MA from Brandeis University (1979), and MBA from Stanford University (1982). Larry is a former [...])
- Guard Your Credit from Financial Identity Theft (Guard Your Credit in the Event of Financial Identity Theft
Without becoming a victim of identity theft, you can get a free credit report from each of the three credit reporting agencies once a year. Federal law requires the three major credit reporting agencies to provide these free reports annually. To satisfy their obligations, Equifax, Experian, [...])
« Annual Tax Calculator | PERSONAL FINANCE SOFTWARE | VeriPlan Overview 2: Organization and Graphics »