VeriPlan Overview 1: Personal Finance Decisions
VeriPlan Overview: Part 1 of 7
Improving personal finance decisions with VeriPlan
VeriPlan gives you significant personal insight into your most important personal finance and investment portfolio decisions. Through comprehensive and customized lifetime projections, VeriPlan’s integrated financial calculators and investment calculators model your particular financial situation across your adult lifetime. VeriPlan projects fully integrated scenarios about your income, expense budget, debts, investment portfolio assets, investment returns, and investment costs within the context of the U.S. federal, state, and local income taxes that apply to you. VeriPlan presents all your personal lifetime financial modeling information in clear graphics and data tables.
You can easily customize any of your personal data and settings in VeriPlan. After you make any modification, VeriPlan’s financial calculators and investment calculators automatically and instantaneously revise your complete lifetime projection. As you use VeriPlan’s rich set of fully integrated “what if” financial modeling tools, you take control of your own financial, investment, and retirement planning.
Personal Users: VeriPlan helps self-directed personal users to understand the possible future implications of current financial planning behaviors. VeriPlan projections model the lifetime finances of one or two adult users and their dependents. Any family member who resides in the same household may use VeriPlan.
Advisory Users: VeriPlan is a valuable tool for financial advisors who serve the fiduciary interests of their financial planning clients. Advisors can obtain a right-to-use VeriPlan on behalf of their clients, when they provide VeriPlan to their clients.
VeriPlan can help you to analyze important personal finance decisions, including:
- What tradeoffs are associated with accelerating mortgage loan payments or other debt repayments?
- Will I be have enough college savings to pay for my children’s education?
- How could my savings rate and investment strategy affect the size of my estate?
- After my living expenses, how much could I give or bequeath to family and charities?
- How large might my exposures to insurable financial risks be over time?
- How might different budgets for insurance premiums affect my lifecycle financial plan?
Investment Cost Reduction:
- What investment returns might I earn net of investment costs?
- How much could I waste on unproductive investment costs?
- How might I optimize my investment returns, while keeping costs to a minimum?
- How does my current investment strategy compare with a scientific strategy focused on long-term, risk-adjusted returns net of investment costs and capital gains tax?
Investment Risk Management:
- What returns might I expect from the balance of expected investment returns and investment risks that I have chosen?
- Am I saving enough to stay in my investment risk and return comfort zone and still reach my financial planning goals?
- If I were to lose income in the future, how long would my liquid investment portfolio assets cover my projected expense budget?
New Business Ventures:
- What are the likely long-term benefits and risks, if I fore-go current income to start a business?
- Could I self-fund my business venture or would I need external capital?
Personal Career Planning:
- What are the long-term economic benefits of changing positions or employers?
- Would returning to school to improve my career skills make economic sense?
- Could starting a business lead to both entrepreneurial and financial success?
Real Estate Planning:
- When will I have sufficient capital for a real estate purchase?
- How would increased mortgage debt affect my investment portfolio and other financial goals?
- Would I have sufficient investment assets to retire early?
- Would my investment assets be adequate to cover my expenses, if I live a very long time?
- What is a relatively safe asset portfolio withdrawal plan?
- Am I saving at a sufficient rate to fund all our future financial planning goals?
- How much benefit might I expect from increasing my income and/or reducing my expense budget?
- What is the long-term value of saving most of my bonus?
- Am I managing my investments from an income tax efficiency standpoint?
- How much should I put into either taxable, traditional retirement accounts, or Roth retirement accounts?
- Would my retirement portfolio assets be adequate after my income taxes and other taxes are paid?
Personal Financial Planning Software for Individuals
- Too few low cost mutual funds and ETFs (Too few low cost mutual funds and ETFs – Far too many high cost funds
In screening and selecting low cost mutual funds and ETFs, you should understand this involves sorting and screening thousands of mutual funds and ETFs using databases from data vendors such as Morningstar and/or Lipper. It is shameful just how few low cost [...])
- Buy investment funds through low cost channels (Do not buy mutual funds and ETFs through high cost vendors
All mutual funds and ETFs are not created equally. Most are created to serve the business interests of the financial industry rather than to deliver investment vehicles that are likely to serve the best interests of individual investors.
Do not purchase any mutual funds or ETFs through [...])
- VeriPlan Overview 7: Satisfaction Guarantee, Documentation, and Household License (VeriPlan Overview: Part 7 of 7
VeriPlan financial software satisfaction guarantee, licensing, documentation, and system platform information
All of VeriPlan's worksheets provide extensive and readily available documentation. A separate manual about VeriPlan's personal financial management software and investment growth calculator features is not necessary, because all necessary instructions are in the software where you need them. Nevertheless, the [...])
- Personal financial planning best practices (VeriPlan helps you to learn about scientifically valid personal financial planning and investment portfolio management practices
Personal finance and investing can be baffling. You can try to learn what works and what does not work from the media or from the financial services industry, but this effort is largely futile. The media reports the financial news [...])
- Measure Your Investment Portfolio Diversification (Gauge the level of your portfolio’s overall diversification with this free on-line tool
Whenever you invest in multiple mutual funds and ETFs, you may wonder how broadly and appropriately diversified your aggregate portfolio might be. Have your investment holdings and mutual funds that you have chosen increased the global diversification of your personal financial asset portfolio? [...])
- Roth Estate Planning Strategies (Roth IRA and Roth 401k Accounts and Roth Estate Planning Strategies
There are trade-offs when deciding whether to allocate contributions to Roth retirement savings accounts versus traditional retirement savings accounts that have deferred income taxation features. In the majority of personal finance situations, making 100% of allowable contributions to Roth retirement plans would probably not yield [...])
- Lifetime Investment Fees (Use a long term investment calculator to understand the lifetime costs of excessive investment fees
High mutual fund fees and other excessive investment fees are huge problems for the average individual investor. These excessive investment fees are the major factor that undermines the financial welfare of millions of Americans. The potential value of your investment portfolio [...])
- Diversification and the credit crisis (The best personal investment and financial planning practices are durable and should not change because of market cycles and financial crises.
Less diversified active strategies tend of be sub-optimal, involving greater portfolio volatility and risk accompanied by higher costs in term of expenses, taxes, time commitment, and stomach acid. The best investment strategy is to seek [...])
- Contact Form (
If you have a question or comment, we would like to hear from you. Please use the form below to get in touch with us. Thank you!
[contact-form-7 id="4" title="Contact form 1"]
- Roth IRA Calculators (Roth IRA Calculators
Using VeriPlan to evaluate Roth retirement account contribution and conversion trade-offs
This is the third part of a three-part article on Roth conversions and Roth IRA contribution calculators. The first part discusses the Roth account investment and asset conversion decision and the need for a sophisticated lifetime financial planning software tool to enable informed [...])
- Retirement tax optimization strategy (Optimal asset "tax location" strategies and drawing down traditional tax-advantaged assets, while delaying Social Security retirement payments
Investment tax location and Social Security tax optimization strategies could improve your lifetime financial plan. To understand how VeriPlan manages the automatic: A) reinvestment of positive annual cash flows from net earned income and other non-asset cash flows and [...])
- Concentrated holdings increase portfolio risk (Portfolio risk increases dramatically with concentrated holdings.
A significant portion of a portfolio may sometimes become concentrated in a single investment entity, which dramatically increases the overall risk of the portfolio. While generally undesirable, there sometimes are unavoidable reasons for investment concentration. Unavoidable reasons for lack of diversification can include owning a private business or being [...])
- Home Buying Calculator (Plan the future purchase of homes with a sophisticated home buying calculator
VeriPlan's fully integrated and automated financial calculators and financial software tools deliver financial planning power to the individual. VeriPlan's home buying calculator tool automates the lifetime financial planning process associated with future residential home purchases. VeriPlan's home buyer calculator functionality automatically take into [...])
- Exchange-traded funds (ETFs) versus mutual funds (Exchange-traded funds (ETFs) versus mutual funds
This article provides information about low cost ETFs, which account for only a few percent of the thousand plus ETFs and other exchange-traded products (ETPs) available to US investors. This article covers certain topics related to ETFs that are important to the investor who intends to use very low cost [...])
- 401k Fees and Expenses (401k Fees and Expenses
Finding information about the costs of employer-sponsored defined contribution plans is difficult, because for years weak regulations have allowed the financial industry to obscure these costs and gouge millions of retirement plan participants. This has made it difficult for both employers and plan participants to understand the true costs of these retirement [...])
- Projecting the size of your future estate (VeriPlan's investment growth calculator helps you to project the size of your estate in future years
Your investment portfolio and other property assets are simply your evolving estate. These valuable assets could become your estate at any time. As you proceed through life and become more successful financially, you need to monitor the size and trajectory of [...])
- Retirement Planning Software (Automate your retirement savings and retirement planning projections
VeriPlan's comprehensive and integrated retirement planning software helps you to plan your retirement much more easily. VeriPlan's retirement planning calculator tools automate the lifetime financial planning process for your retirement income, retirement pensions, retirement annuities, Social Security payments, retirement expense budget, retirement taxes, and tax-advantaged retirement plans.
VeriPlan's integrated [...])
- Debt Payoff Software (Decide whether accelerated mortgage debt and other accelerated loan repayments make sense for you
The VeriPlan personal finance software allows you to evaluate different loan payoff strategies across your lifetime financial plan. You can model higher monthly payments that accelerate the repayment of any particular loan or all loans. VeriPlan will automatically shift some of your positive [...])
- Improve Your Finances with My Books, Software & Newsletter (Many people are confused and frustrated, because they do not have the knowledge and tools that they need to plan their financial futures efficiently and optimally. Addressing these problems, these ebooks and financial planning software will help you to get moving along your own path toward better lifetime and retirement financial planning and investing.
“Buyers Guide [...])
- Going Back to College (Evaluate the financial trade-offs associated with mid-career education
VeriPlan's personal financial planning software helps you to evaluate the financial trade offs associated with mid-career education and going back to college. VeriPlan's personal finance software helps you to determine whether your current personal earnings, savings rate, and investment strategy could lead to a sustainable personal financial plan [...])
« Annual Tax Calculator | PERSONAL FINANCE SOFTWARE | VeriPlan Overview 2: Organization and Graphics »