VeriPlan Overview 1: Personal Finance Decisions
VeriPlan Overview: Part 1 of 7
Improving personal finance decisions with VeriPlan
VeriPlan gives you significant personal insight into your most important personal finance and investment portfolio decisions. Through comprehensive and customized lifetime projections, VeriPlan’s integrated financial calculators and investment calculators model your particular financial situation across your adult lifetime. VeriPlan projects fully integrated scenarios about your income, expense budget, debts, investment portfolio assets, investment returns, and investment costs within the context of the U.S. federal, state, and local income taxes that apply to you. VeriPlan presents all your personal lifetime financial modeling information in clear graphics and data tables.
You can easily customize any of your personal data and settings in VeriPlan. After you make any modification, VeriPlan’s financial calculators and investment calculators automatically and instantaneously revise your complete lifetime projection. As you use VeriPlan’s rich set of fully integrated “what if” financial modeling tools, you take control of your own financial, investment, and retirement planning.
Personal Users: VeriPlan helps self-directed personal users to understand the possible future implications of current financial planning behaviors. VeriPlan projections model the lifetime finances of one or two adult users and their dependents. Any family member who resides in the same household may use VeriPlan.
Advisory Users: VeriPlan is a valuable tool for financial advisors who serve the fiduciary interests of their financial planning clients. Advisors can obtain a right-to-use VeriPlan on behalf of their clients, when they provide VeriPlan to their clients.
VeriPlan can help you to analyze important personal finance decisions, including:
- What tradeoffs are associated with accelerating mortgage loan payments or other debt repayments?
- Will I be have enough college savings to pay for my children’s education?
- How could my savings rate and investment strategy affect the size of my estate?
- After my living expenses, how much could I give or bequeath to family and charities?
- How large might my exposures to insurable financial risks be over time?
- How might different budgets for insurance premiums affect my lifecycle financial plan?
Investment Cost Reduction:
- What investment returns might I earn net of investment costs?
- How much could I waste on unproductive investment costs?
- How might I optimize my investment returns, while keeping costs to a minimum?
- How does my current investment strategy compare with a scientific strategy focused on long-term, risk-adjusted returns net of investment costs and capital gains tax?
Investment Risk Management:
- What returns might I expect from the balance of expected investment returns and investment risks that I have chosen?
- Am I saving enough to stay in my investment risk and return comfort zone and still reach my financial planning goals?
- If I were to lose income in the future, how long would my liquid investment portfolio assets cover my projected expense budget?
New Business Ventures:
- What are the likely long-term benefits and risks, if I fore-go current income to start a business?
- Could I self-fund my business venture or would I need external capital?
Personal Career Planning:
- What are the long-term economic benefits of changing positions or employers?
- Would returning to school to improve my career skills make economic sense?
- Could starting a business lead to both entrepreneurial and financial success?
Real Estate Planning:
- When will I have sufficient capital for a real estate purchase?
- How would increased mortgage debt affect my investment portfolio and other financial goals?
- Would I have sufficient investment assets to retire early?
- Would my investment assets be adequate to cover my expenses, if I live a very long time?
- What is a relatively safe asset portfolio withdrawal plan?
- Am I saving at a sufficient rate to fund all our future financial planning goals?
- How much benefit might I expect from increasing my income and/or reducing my expense budget?
- What is the long-term value of saving most of my bonus?
- Am I managing my investments from an income tax efficiency standpoint?
- How much should I put into either taxable, traditional retirement accounts, or Roth retirement accounts?
- Would my retirement portfolio assets be adequate after my income taxes and other taxes are paid?
Personal Financial Planning Software for Individuals
- Roth Estate Planning Strategies (Roth IRA and Roth 401k Accounts and Roth Estate Planning Strategies
There are trade-offs when deciding whether to allocate contributions to Roth retirement savings accounts versus traditional retirement savings accounts that have deferred income taxation features. In the majority of personal finance situations, making 100% of allowable contributions to Roth retirement plans would probably not yield [...])
- IRA, 401k, and Roth IRA Retirement Planning (Deciding between traditional retirement plan contributions and Roth retirement plan contributions
Whether or not to make investments into "traditional" tax-advantaged employer accounts and IRAs versus investing in "Roth" tax-advantaged employer accounts and personal IRAs is never a straightforward nor simple financial planning decision. The decision on the trade offs happens to be one of the most [...])
- Contact Form (
If you have a question or comment, we would like to hear from you. Please use the form below to get in touch with us. Thank you!
[contact-form-7 id="4" title="Contact form 1"]
- How to Use the VeriPlan Comprehensive Financial Planner (Developing a Family Financial Plan with VeriPlan
VeriPlan is personally customizable financial planning software that helps you develop your own comprehensive lifetime financial and investment plan for your family. Functioning as financial decision support software, it automates millions of integrated projection calculations behind the scenes. With VeriPlan you can improve your financial decision-making, because you are [...])
- Personal financial planning best practices (VeriPlan helps you to learn about scientifically valid personal financial planning and investment portfolio management practices
Personal finance and investing can be baffling. You can try to learn what works and what does not work from the media or from the financial services industry, but this effort is largely futile. The media reports the financial news [...])
- Municipal Bonds and Marginal Income Tax Rates (Municipal Bond Investments and Marginal Income Tax Rates
Some investors hold municipal bonds in an attempt to reduce their tax burden. This article discusses the relationships between tax-exempt municipal bonds, marginal tax rates, and investment asset tax location.
An investor’s marginal tax rate is important, when making tax-related investment portfolio decisions. By combining your federal, state, and [...])
- 2013-11: November 2013 What Works in Personal Finance Newsletter (
November 2013 Newsletter
You are a financial industry profit center
For the full article, either click the title above or paste this address into your browser:
Why allow the financial industry to help itself to your money? In case you did not notice, the financial services industry has not done the world any favors lately. The financial industry [...])
- VeriPlan Overview 7: Satisfaction Guarantee, Documentation, and Household License (VeriPlan Overview: Part 7 of 7
VeriPlan financial software satisfaction guarantee, licensing, documentation, and system platform information
All of VeriPlan's worksheets provide extensive and readily available documentation. A separate manual about VeriPlan's personal financial management software and investment growth calculator features is not necessary, because all necessary instructions are in the software where you need them. Nevertheless, the [...])
- Retirement Planning Software (Automate your retirement savings and retirement planning projections
VeriPlan's comprehensive and integrated retirement planning software helps you to plan your retirement much more easily. VeriPlan's retirement planning calculator tools automate the lifetime financial planning process for your retirement income, retirement pensions, retirement annuities, Social Security payments, retirement expense budget, retirement taxes, and tax-advantaged retirement plans.
VeriPlan's integrated [...])
- Guard Your Credit from Financial Identity Theft (Guard Your Credit in the Event of Financial Identity Theft
Without becoming a victim of identity theft, you can get a free credit report from each of the three credit reporting agencies once a year. Federal law requires the three major credit reporting agencies to provide these free reports annually. To satisfy their obligations, Equifax, Experian, [...])
- Lifetime Investment Fees (Use a long term investment calculator to understand the lifetime costs of excessive investment fees
High mutual fund fees and other excessive investment fees are huge problems for the average individual investor. These excessive investment fees are the major factor that undermines the financial welfare of millions of Americans. The potential value of your investment portfolio [...])
- Retirement Investment Calculator (Project your lifetime investment assets using a sophisticated, do-it-yourself retirement investment calculator
VeriPlan's lifetime compound investment calculator retirement software develops customized scenarios that are based on your current personal financial situation and on your goals and objectives for the future. VeriPlan is a sophisticated and fully integrated future value investment calculator that automatically projects the year-by-year [...])
- Annual Tax Calculator (VeriPlan estimates your lifetime annual taxes in 8 different tax categories
The VeriPlan tax planning calculator projects your lifetime annual tax payments in 8 different tax categories. VeriPlan's fully integrated and automated lifetime annual tax calculator and retirement tax calculator capabilities automatically project your lifetime estimated taxes in these 8 tax categories:
Federal income taxes on earned [...])
- VeriPlan Overview 3: Your Income and Debt Projections (VeriPlan Overview: Part 3 of 7
Your income and debts in VeriPlan
The VeriPlan financial planning software with its wide variety of fully integrated financial calculators and investment calculators uses your inputs about your financial situation and investment portfolio to develop your current projection baseline. VeriPlan collects the following personal financial information:
Your Initial Ages:
VeriPlan is a lifetime projection [...])
- Stock Asset Allocation (Project the value of your stock and equity assets across your lifetime
To develop your investment growth projections, VeriPlan's stock investment calculator software allows you can enter as many as 99 separate stock and equity asset holdings. For each of your current stock and equity holdings, you can also enter your investment portfolio costs and your [...])
- Savings and Withdrawal Rates (Understand how your current savings rate and retirement withdrawal rate would affect all of your lifetime personal financial planning goals
Along with your efforts to increase your earned income, your personal savings rate largely determines your lifelong financial planning success or failure by steadily and more substantially feeding your investment portfolio. The attempt to be clever [...])
- Tactical asset allocation and market timing (The best individual financial planning and investment rules and practices are enduring and should not change due to market cycles or a financial crisis.
This article looks at asset allocation strategy in light of the recent credit crisis. The credit crisis was a systemic, global financial event that affected any financial or securities instrument influenced [...])
- Asset Allocation Strategy (Post-financial crisis commentary on tactical versus strategic asset allocation
The best individual financial planning and investment rules and practices are enduring and should not change due to market cycles or a financial crisis. This article looks at asset allocation strategy in light of the recent credit crisis.
The credit crisis was a systemic, global financial event that [...])
- Traditional Versus Roth IRA Decisions (Roth retirement investment strategies have a long payback period
When financial planners, investment advisers, and brokers advise their clients to convert their traditional IRA assets into Roth assets or to make annual Roth contributions rather than make alternative tax-deductible retirement account contributions, are asking for a huge leap of faith. Such proposals suggest that it would [...])
- VeriPlan Overview 4: Your Investment Portfolio Projections (VeriPlan Retirement Investment Calculator Overview: Part 4 of 7
Your investment portfolio and assets in VeriPlan
For each of your current investment portfolio asset holdings, the VeriPlan investment calculator software collects information about your share ownership amounts, values per share, investment costs, account taxability, and expected taxable capital gains distributions. The VeriPlan financial investment calculator automatically projects [...])
« Annual Tax Calculator | PERSONAL FINANCE SOFTWARE | VeriPlan Overview 2: Organization and Graphics »