College Savings Calculator
College savings calculator software helps you to plan college savings and other education expenses for you and your children
VeriPlan’s fully integrated and automated financial calculators and financial software tools help you to determine whether your current savings rate would lead to a sustainable financial plan across your lifetime.
In addition, the VeriPlan lifetime retirement planning calculator also can be used as a college savings calculator to test how earning, budgeting, spending, and saving more or less would affect the viability of your educational expense planning program during any year of your lifetime. In addition to projecting your yearly ordinary living expense budget across your lifetime, VeriPlan lets you plan for major expenditures, including private preparatory school and college education costs.
When used as a children’s education expense planning tool, VeriPlan acts as an education savings calculator that can help you to understand your education savings needs by:
- projecting annual expenses for any number of children in private preparatory schools, college, and graduate school
- growing projected educational expenses with inflation or at rates that differ from expected inflation
- offsetting costs by anticipated educational scholarships, grants, and loans
A separate section of VeriPlan’s Expense and Savings Tool provides a detailed example of using VeriPlan as a college saving calculator that plans the future college savings, college expenses, college scholarships, and college loans for children who currently are young.
An example of VeriPlan’s expenses graphic that includes college planning expenses for children integrated with all other projected family expenses
Below is an example of the VeriPlan’s expenses graphic: “Ordinary, Planned, and Adjusted Expenses plus Income, Employment, & Property Taxes (real $/yr).” This graphic shows Sue and Sam’s projected living expenses, ordinary income taxes, and their FICA (Social Security), Medicare, Property, and Real Estate tax payments. This expenses graphic, which VeriPlan automatically develops for every financial plan, projects your expenses related to living expenses and the taxes that are related primarily to non-asset earned and retirement income. This graphic includes:
- Your ordinary living expenses and major planned expenses with adjustments and with your real dollar growth rates from the orange-tabbed ‘1-Expense & Savings Tool’ worksheet
- Your federal, state, and local ordinary income taxes from the yellow-tabbed ’11-Your Taxes’ worksheet
- Your federal, state, and local ordinary income taxes on asset income and reinvested interest and short-term capital gains from the yellow-tabbed ‘6-Your Cash,’ ‘7-Your Bonds,’ and ‘8-Your Stocks’ worksheets. (Because ordinary earned income and ordinary asset income tax treatments are similar, VeriPlan combines both earned income and asset income sources here for taxation purposes. Generally, most asset income taxes will be from current interest and dividend payments on cash and bond/fixed income assets.)
- Your tax payments related to FICA (Social Security), Medicare, self-employment, property, real estate, and other non-capital gains taxes
Concerning their use of VeriPlan as a college planning tool for their children’s college expenses, note the substantial additional amount of “major planned planned expenses,” when Sue and Sam are in their early 40s. These added expenses represent the net additional out-of-pocket cash expenses that are projected related to sending two children – who differ in age by two years – to college over a six-year period.
In this particular VeriPlan college expense calculator planning scenario, they would have to withdraw about a 50% of their cash, bond, and stock assets at that time to pay for their children’s college education! Note that these expenses are net of projected college expense inflation and anticipated college scholarships and college education loans.
Furthermore, note that the earlier group of “major planned planned expenses” displayed on this graphic represents projected expenses related to purchasing and furnishing a single family home during their early-30’s. These two separate financial planning goals related to real estate buying and children’s college education planning are fully and automatically integrated into a single, unified lifetime financial plan that includes all other expenses, including their pre-retirement and post-retirement ordinary living expenses.
Personal Financial Planning Software for Individuals
- Personal financial planning best practices (VeriPlan helps you to learn about scientifically valid personal financial planning and investment portfolio management practices
Personal finance and investing can be baffling. You can try to learn what works and what does not work from the media or from the financial services industry, but this effort is largely futile. The media reports the financial news [...])
- Tactical asset allocation and market timing (The best individual financial planning and investment rules and practices are enduring and should not change due to market cycles or a financial crisis.
This article looks at asset allocation strategy in light of the recent credit crisis. The credit crisis was a systemic, global financial event that affected any financial or securities instrument influenced [...])
- Lifetime Investment Fees (Use a long term investment calculator to understand the lifetime costs of excessive investment fees
High mutual fund fees and other excessive investment fees are huge problems for the average individual investor. These excessive investment fees are the major factor that undermines the financial welfare of millions of Americans. The potential value of your investment portfolio [...])
- Stock Asset Allocation (Project the value of your stock and equity assets across your lifetime
To develop your investment growth projections, VeriPlan's stock investment calculator software allows you can enter as many as 99 separate stock and equity asset holdings. For each of your current stock and equity holdings, you can also enter your investment portfolio costs and your [...])
- VeriPlan Overview 6: Ten Automated Lifetime and Retirement Calculator Tools (VeriPlan Overview: Part 6 of 7
VeriPlan's 10 financial planning tools and retirement planning calculators
Retirement Planning Calculator Tool:
With this retirement planning tool, you can set individual retirement ages for Earners 1 and 2. You can select whether or not to retire simultaneously. You can also adjust your expected ordinary living expense budget in retirement and the [...])
- Investment Risk Tolerance Questionnaire (Investors with different appetites for investment risk tolerance are more satisfied with investment portfolio risk exposures that are more in line with their ability to cope with investment financial risk and rewards.
Investors who are more risk-averse are more satisfied with a less risky investment asset allocation – regardless of lower expected investment returns or the [...])
- Going Back to College (Evaluate the financial trade-offs associated with mid-career education
VeriPlan's personal financial planning software helps you to evaluate the financial trade offs associated with mid-career education and going back to college. VeriPlan's personal finance software helps you to determine whether your current personal earnings, savings rate, and investment strategy could lead to a sustainable personal financial plan [...])
- 2014-01: January 2014 What Works in Personal Finance Newsletter (
- Lifetime Income Projections (Understand your lifetime projected income from multiple sources after state and federal income taxes
VeriPlan's saving for retirement calculator software projects each of your income sources separately. Plus, it separately projects wage and salary and self-employment earnings for two different earners. With this sophisticated retirement savings calculator, you can control the growth for any income source [...])
- Sitemap (
- Are ETF expenses really lower than mutual funds? (Are ETF management expenses really lower than mutual fund management expenses?
Yes and no. When you look at the full range of ETF management expense ratios, you find the most ETFs have a management expense ratio under 1% per year. In contrast, the average expense ratio for mutual funds exceeds 1%, so obviously the majority mutual [...])
- Improve Your Finances with My Books, Software & Newsletter (Many people are confused and frustrated, because they do not have the knowledge and tools that they need to plan their financial futures efficiently and optimally. Addressing these problems, these ebooks and financial planning software will help you to get moving along your own path toward better lifetime and retirement financial planning and investing.
“Buyers Guide [...])
- Career Education Financial Planning (Using VeriPlan as a Mid-Career Education Financial Planning Tool
VeriPlan can easily be used to analyze whether it is worth returning to school to improve one's earnings capacity. The following example explains the steps to take to analyze the value of obtaining additional education to further one's career by using VeriPlan as and education financial planning [...])
- Monthly Budget Planner Worksheet (Monthly budget planner worksheet
VeriPlan is the best personal financial planning software for individuals and families who want to develop a comprehensive lifetime financial plan. VeriPlan also includes a monthly budget planner worksheet covering 24 months.
Expense tracking, expense budgeting, and budget variance spreadsheets
This monthly expense planner covers 24 months and allows you to define your [...])
- 2013-10: October 2013 What Works in Personal Finance Newsletter (
October 2013 Newsletter
Identity Theft Protection and Prevention
This is the web address of this article:
As a threat to your financial security, you should take the potential for identity theft very seriously. Identity theft sometimes entails a loss of your money. However, whether or not you lose money, identity theft usually takes a very large amount of [...])
- Financial Planning and Identity Theft Prevention (Financial Planning Security and Identity Theft Prevention
You should take the potential for financial identity theft very seriously, as a threat to your financial security. Identity theft can sometimes entail loss of your financial assets, whether small or large. However, very often it requires taking a very large amount of your time to rectify an identity [...])
- Diversification and the credit crisis (The best personal investment and financial planning practices are durable and should not change because of market cycles and financial crises.
Less diversified active strategies tend of be sub-optimal, involving greater portfolio volatility and risk accompanied by higher costs in term of expenses, taxes, time commitment, and stomach acid. The best investment strategy is to seek [...])
- Evaluating Roth IRA Conversions (Evaluating Roth IRA Conversions
This is the second part of a three-part article on Roth conversions, including information about Roth IRA conversion calculators and Roth IRA investment calculators. This article could help you to make a more informed decision about your family's Roth investment strategy. Key to you making a better decision about your lifetime Roth [...])
- Too few low cost mutual funds and ETFs (Too few low cost mutual funds and ETFs – Far too many high cost funds
In screening and selecting low cost mutual funds and ETFs, you should understand this involves sorting and screening thousands of mutual funds and ETFs using databases from data vendors such as Morningstar and/or Lipper. It is shameful just how few low cost [...])
- Projecting the size of your future estate (VeriPlan's investment growth calculator helps you to project the size of your estate in future years
Your investment portfolio and other property assets are simply your evolving estate. These valuable assets could become your estate at any time. As you proceed through life and become more successful financially, you need to monitor the size and trajectory of [...])
« Lifetime Income Projections | PERSONAL FINANCE SOFTWARE | Debt Payoff Software »