Debt Payoff Software
Decide whether accelerated mortgage debt and other accelerated loan repayments make sense for you
The VeriPlan personal finance software allows you to evaluate different loan payoff strategies across your lifetime financial plan. You can model higher monthly payments that accelerate the repayment of any particular loan or all loans. VeriPlan will automatically shift some of your positive net earned income cash flow toward accelerated debt repayment and away from additional cash, bond, and stock investment portfolio assets.
VeriPlan’s fully integrated mortgage calculator, loan calculator, and debt payoff functionality functionality can automatically project interest and principal payments on up to 25 of your currently outstanding loans.
The VeriPlan lifetime personal financial planner will continue to deduct interest and principal payments from your projected annual after tax cash flow for as long as any unpaid principal on these debts would remain. VeriPlan’s debt payoff software handles mortgages, lines of credit, bank loans, student loans, revolving credit arrangements, credit cards, or other types of loans.
Test the overall impact of accelerated debt repayments within the context of your full lifetime income, expense budget, assets, and taxes.
For example, VeriPlan automatically takes into account the tax deductibility of your property tax payments and your mortgage and real estate line of credit interest payments, when it projects your federal income taxes, state income taxes, local income taxes, and property taxes.
People usually consider the question of accelerating debt repayments, when they expect to have steady positive net income or cash flow to cover their debt repayments. The VeriPlan personal financial planner does not require this. VeriPlan can automatically project the financial impacts of minimum required loan repayments and/or accelerated debt elimination payments on a loan by loan basis over multi-year periods with fluctuating positive and negative annual cash flows.
Furthermore, if your projected cash flow in any projection year would not be sufficient to meet either your required or accelerated debt payoff strategy, then VeriPlan would draw down your projected cash, bond, and equity assets. As required, VeriPlan would automatically project the liquidation of your projected financial assets in proportion to your chosen investment portfolio asset allocation.
VeriPlan is the most comprehensive, integrated, and automated financial planner and debt payoff software application that is available for personal use. It can easily help you to make better, more optimal financial decisions that take into account your full lifetime financial plan.
VeriPlan’s “Debt Payments” graphic provides a full lifetime picture of your annual debt payment obligations.
VeriPlan Debt Payments graphic, which is developed automatically for every projection, projects your annual debt repayment obligations according to your settings on VeriPlan’s ‘Your Debts’ worksheet. On VeriPlan’s ‘Your Debts’ worksheet, you also classify your debts as consumption-oriented or investment-oriented. Consumption-oriented debts represent past consumption that you have financed. Investment-oriented debts are those you take on with a rational expectation that they will enhance your human capital and/or portfolio assets.
The sample graphic below shows a projection for “Sue and Sam Saver”. In this scenario, VeriPlan projects that Sue and Sam would pay off their debts by their mid-60s. However, since their cash, bond, and stock assets would be gone in their mid-90s, VeriPlan would automatically accrue an unfunded consumption debt thereafter. Even though their financial assets are gone, but their living expenses would continue. (They might have other assets, such as real estate property, that could help them to avoid this future debt.)
Personal Financial Planning Software for Individuals
- Measure Your Investment Portfolio Diversification (Gauge the level of your portfolio’s overall diversification with this free on-line tool
Whenever you invest in multiple mutual funds and ETFs, you may wonder how broadly and appropriately diversified your aggregate portfolio might be. Have your investment holdings and mutual funds that you have chosen increased the global diversification of your personal financial asset portfolio? [...])
- VeriPlan Overview 5: Federal, State, and Local Tax Projections (VeriPlan Tax Calculator Overview: Part 5 of 7
The VeriPlan retirement planning calculator automatically projects your lifetime U.S. federal, state, and local taxes
With its fully integrated lifetime retirement tax calculator and income tax estimator features, the VeriPlan personal finance software automatically projects your lifetime tax obligations in eight different tax categories. VeriPlan automatically projects your financial [...])
- About (
About the author
Lawrence J. Russell is the author of this website and the books offered through this website. He is also the architect and developer of the VeriPlan software discussed on this website. He holds a BS from M.I.T. (1975), MA from Brandeis University (1979), and MBA from Stanford University (1982). Larry is a former [...])
- VeriPlan Lifetime Financial Planner — Annual Version Enhancements (2014 VeriPlan financial planning worksheet enhancements
The 2014 version focused on taxation and parameter updates:
1) Updated US Federal and 50 state + DC tax rates, limits, phaseouts, and other tax parameters using the latest information available. Updated tax information related to traditional and Roth tax-advantaged IRA and employer-sponsored retirement plan contributions and withdrawals.
2) Updated user adjustable [...])
- VeriPlan Overview 4: Your Investment Portfolio Projections (VeriPlan Retirement Investment Calculator Overview: Part 4 of 7
Your investment portfolio and assets in VeriPlan
For each of your current investment portfolio asset holdings, the VeriPlan investment calculator software collects information about your share ownership amounts, values per share, investment costs, account taxability, and expected taxable capital gains distributions. The VeriPlan financial investment calculator automatically projects [...])
- VeriPlan Overview 6: Ten Automated Lifetime and Retirement Calculator Tools (VeriPlan Overview: Part 6 of 7
VeriPlan's 10 financial planning tools and retirement planning calculators
Retirement Planning Calculator Tool:
With this retirement planning tool, you can set individual retirement ages for Earners 1 and 2. You can select whether or not to retire simultaneously. You can also adjust your expected ordinary living expense budget in retirement and the [...])
- Municipal Bonds and Marginal Income Tax Rates (Municipal Bond Investments and Marginal Income Tax Rates
Some investors hold municipal bonds in an attempt to reduce their tax burden. This article discusses the relationships between tax-exempt municipal bonds, marginal tax rates, and investment asset tax location.
An investor’s marginal tax rate is important, when making tax-related investment portfolio decisions. By combining your federal, state, and [...])
- Retirement Planning Software (Automate your retirement savings and retirement planning projections
VeriPlan's comprehensive and integrated retirement planning software helps you to plan your retirement much more easily. VeriPlan's retirement planning calculator tools automate the lifetime financial planning process for your retirement income, retirement pensions, retirement annuities, Social Security payments, retirement expense budget, retirement taxes, and tax-advantaged retirement plans.
VeriPlan's integrated [...])
- Concentrated holdings increase portfolio risk (Portfolio risk increases dramatically with concentrated holdings.
A significant portion of a portfolio may sometimes become concentrated in a single investment entity, which dramatically increases the overall risk of the portfolio. While generally undesirable, there sometimes are unavoidable reasons for investment concentration. Unavoidable reasons for lack of diversification can include owning a private business or being [...])
- Are ETF expenses really lower than mutual funds? (Are ETF management expenses really lower than mutual fund management expenses?
Yes and no. When you look at the full range of ETF management expense ratios, you find the most ETFs have a management expense ratio under 1% per year. In contrast, the average expense ratio for mutual funds exceeds 1%, so obviously the majority mutual [...])
- Retirement tax optimization strategy (Optimal asset "tax location" strategies and drawing down traditional tax-advantaged assets, while delaying Social Security retirement payments
Investment tax location and Social Security tax optimization strategies could improve your lifetime financial plan. To understand how VeriPlan manages the automatic: A) reinvestment of positive annual cash flows from net earned income and other non-asset cash flows and [...])
- What should your lifetime IRA, 401k, and Roth contribution strategies be? (VeriPlan helps you to decide what your lifetime IRA, 401k, Roth IRA, and Roth 401k contribution strategy should be
With IRA, 401k, and other tax-advantaged retirement investment portfolio accounts, you trade off the relative value of paying federal income taxes, state income taxes, and local income taxes now versus paying them either later or never. The [...])
- Choose the broadest available whole market diversification (Choose the broadest available whole market diversification
Another risk reduction objective should be to achieve the broadest possible securities market diversification within your overall portfolio holdings. Whenever several low cost investment funds are available, I suggest choosing the fund with the broadest market coverage. This reflects a preference for owning the entire market. Such funds are [...])
- Roth IRA Calculators (Roth IRA Calculators
Using VeriPlan to evaluate Roth retirement account contribution and conversion trade-offs
This is the third part of a three-part article on Roth conversions and Roth IRA contribution calculators. The first part discusses the Roth account investment and asset conversion decision and the need for a sophisticated lifetime financial planning software tool to enable informed [...])
- VeriPlan Overview 7: Satisfaction Guarantee, Documentation, and Household License (VeriPlan Overview: Part 7 of 7
VeriPlan financial software satisfaction guarantee, licensing, documentation, and system platform information
All of VeriPlan's worksheets provide extensive and readily available documentation. A separate manual about VeriPlan's personal financial management software and investment growth calculator features is not necessary, because all necessary instructions are in the software where you need them. Nevertheless, the [...])
- Lifetime Tax Planning Software (Automatically project your lifetime federal, state, and local income taxes, capital gains taxes, property taxes, and other taxes
VeriPlan's tax calculator software automatically projects your real dollar tax obligations using current tax rates and tax limits that would apply in your particular situation. For example, regarding your income taxes and income tax rates, the VeriPlan tax [...])
- 2014-01: January 2014 What Works in Personal Finance Newsletter (
- Where to buy investment funds (Where to purchase mutual funds and ETFs
Whenever possible, low cost no load mutual funds should be purchased directly from mutual fund families that deal with the public. Otherwise they should be acquired through some other low cost channel such as a discount brokerage account. It only makes sense to purchase funds through the most inexpensive [...])
- Fixed Income Investing (Use the best bond investment calculator to understand the projected value of your bond and fixed income assets across your lifetime
To develop your lifetime and retirement calculator projections using VeriPlan's compound investment calculator software, you can enter as many as 24 separate bond and fixed income asset holdings. For each of your current bond and [...])
- Traditional Versus Roth IRA Decisions (Roth retirement investment strategies have a long payback period
When financial planners, investment advisers, and brokers advise their clients to convert their traditional IRA assets into Roth assets or to make annual Roth contributions rather than make alternative tax-deductible retirement account contributions, are asking for a huge leap of faith. Such proposals suggest that it would [...])
« College Savings Calculator | PERSONAL FINANCE SOFTWARE | Home Buying Calculator »