Lifetime Investment Fees
Use a long term investment calculator to understand the lifetime costs of excessive investment fees
High mutual fund fees and other excessive investment fees are huge problems for the average individual investor. These excessive investment fees are the major factor that undermines the financial welfare of millions of Americans. The potential value of your investment portfolio assets lost through excessive investment costs and compounded across your lifetime can be huge – even when your costs are “only” at the financial securities industry averages!
Average investment costs are not “just a few percent.” In fact, in any average year with average returns, a sophisticated compound investment calculator will demonstrate to you that average financial services industry investment fees will take away between 1/4 and 1/3 of your entire gross annual portfolio return. Since the investment fees you pay recur every year, these compounded annual investment costs year after year after year grow to be huge over years and decades. The financial services industry wins and you lose more and more.
Cutting investment fees is the single, best strategy that people have to improve their net investment returns.
At the same time, you can easily avoid high investment costs. The most significant personal investment success factor that your can control is to lower your investment costs.
When you drive the costs out of your investment portfolio, you give yourself a substantial head start over the average individual investor. You also cut down on trading and turnover in your portfolio, which simultaneously reduces trading costs, while it also cuts down on the completely unnecessary realization of some short-term capital gains taxes and long-term capital gains taxes.
VeriPlan’s fully automated retirement investment calculator spreadsheet software helps you understand the full impact of excessive mutual fund fees and other excessive investment fees over your lifetime
VeriPlan’s future value investment calculator functionality gives you fully automated investment cost-efficiency analysis — an incredibly valuable feature that you will not find in any other home investment calculator software. These valuable investment cost analysis features can help you to understand the cumulative impact of unproductive investment costs over the years.
VeriPlan’s investment growth calculator functionality automatically analyzes your future investment portfolio values across your lifetime, and it does this net of your projected investment fees and investment capital gains taxes. Once you enter the investment cost characteristics of your current portfolio, VeriPlan easily handles the rest of the analysis for you automatically.
VeriPlan develops projections that assume you will continue to acquire assets throughout your lifetime using the same level of cost-efficiency or cost-inefficiency that is apparent from your current investment portfolio. The VeriPlan financial investment calculator also provides an easy-to-use investment cost-effectiveness tool that allows you to develop hypothetical investment calculator projections that override your current investment fees in favor or lower and more reasonable investment costs. By flipping a single software switch, you can instead tell VeriPlan to develop future investment calculator projections that reflect any lower investment costs that you believe would be more reasonable to pay over your lifetime.
Here is an example of one of the cost-efficiency graphics automatically developed by the VeriPlan compounding investment calculator for all your projections.
If your current investment portfolio costs and mutual fund fees exceed your reasonable cost assumptions, then VeriPlan will automatically measure the cumulative value of the financial investment assets that you would lose in the future. VeriPlan’s fully automated mutual fund investment calculator and retirement planning calculator features will project your lifetime financial asset portfolio using your current investment fees and cost structure. Furthermore, it will show you what you could lose compared to more choosing investments with lower investment fees and lower total expense ratios, as you can see in the graphic above.
Every VeriPlan growth of investment calculator projection automatically develops full lifetime projections that include these five primary types of investment costs:
- Fees to buy investments (e.g. front end loads)
- Investment portfolio management fees (e.g. the management expense ratio)
- Annual marketing and sales fees (e.g. 12b-1 fees for investment funds)
- Fund trading costs (e.g. portfolio trading and market impact costs, which are indicated by rates of portfolio turnover)
- Personal account custody fees, commissions, and advisory fees (e.g. wrap account fees or annual percent of assets charges on account balances for advice and client services, which are in addition to portfolio management charges)
Personal Financial Planning Software for Individuals
- Non-traded REITs – relatively lousy investments (Research demonstrates that excessive expenses, conflicts of interest, and lack of markets cause non-traded REITs to be inferior investments
Research reports clearly show that non-traded real estate investment trust (REIT) securities are lousy investments. They are lousy, because an investor always has the alternative to invest in publicly traded individual REITs and REIT mutual funds and [...])
- Monthly Budget Planner Worksheet (Monthly budget planner worksheet
VeriPlan is the best personal financial planning software for individuals and families who want to develop a comprehensive lifetime financial plan. VeriPlan also includes a monthly budget planner worksheet covering 24 months.
Expense tracking, expense budgeting, and budget variance spreadsheets
This monthly expense planner covers 24 months and allows you to define your [...])
- 2013-11: November 2013 What Works in Personal Finance Newsletter (
November 2013 Newsletter
You are a financial industry profit center
For the full article, either click the title above or paste this address into your browser:
Why allow the financial industry to help itself to your money? In case you did not notice, the financial services industry has not done the world any favors lately. The financial industry [...])
- Roth IRA Conversion Calculator (Best Roth Conversion Calculator
This is the first part of a three-part article on Roth retirement account contributions, Roth IRA contribution calculators, and traditional IRA to Roth IRA conversion calculators and strategies.
Part 2) Evaluating Roth IRA Conversions --->
Part 3) Roth IRA Calculators --->
The Roth IRA Conversion Media Storm
The Roth IRA conversion and designated Roth 401k conversion [...])
- Where to buy investment funds (Where to purchase mutual funds and ETFs
Whenever possible, low cost no load mutual funds should be purchased directly from mutual fund families that deal with the public. Otherwise they should be acquired through some other low cost channel such as a discount brokerage account. It only makes sense to purchase funds through the most inexpensive [...])
- IRA, 401k, and Roth IRA Retirement Planning (Deciding between traditional retirement plan contributions and Roth retirement plan contributions
Whether or not to make investments into "traditional" tax-advantaged employer accounts and IRAs versus investing in "Roth" tax-advantaged employer accounts and personal IRAs is never a straightforward nor simple financial planning decision. The decision on the trade offs happens to be one of the most [...])
- Tactical asset allocation and market timing (The best individual financial planning and investment rules and practices are enduring and should not change due to market cycles or a financial crisis.
This article looks at asset allocation strategy in light of the recent credit crisis. The credit crisis was a systemic, global financial event that affected any financial or securities instrument influenced [...])
- Retirement Investment Calculator (Project your lifetime investment assets using a sophisticated, do-it-yourself retirement investment calculator
VeriPlan's lifetime compound investment calculator retirement software develops customized scenarios that are based on your current personal financial situation and on your goals and objectives for the future. VeriPlan is a sophisticated and fully integrated future value investment calculator that automatically projects the year-by-year [...])
- VeriPlan Overview 3: Your Income and Debt Projections (VeriPlan Overview: Part 3 of 7
Your income and debts in VeriPlan
The VeriPlan financial planning software with its wide variety of fully integrated financial calculators and investment calculators uses your inputs about your financial situation and investment portfolio to develop your current projection baseline. VeriPlan collects the following personal financial information:
Your Initial Ages:
VeriPlan is a lifetime projection [...])
- Retirement tax optimization strategy (Optimal asset "tax location" strategies and drawing down traditional tax-advantaged assets, while delaying Social Security retirement payments
Investment tax location and Social Security tax optimization strategies could improve your lifetime financial plan. To understand how VeriPlan manages the automatic: A) reinvestment of positive annual cash flows from net earned income and other non-asset cash flows and [...])
- VeriPlan Overview 5: Federal, State, and Local Tax Projections (VeriPlan Tax Calculator Overview: Part 5 of 7
The VeriPlan retirement planning calculator automatically projects your lifetime U.S. federal, state, and local taxes
With its fully integrated lifetime retirement tax calculator and income tax estimator features, the VeriPlan personal finance software automatically projects your lifetime tax obligations in eight different tax categories. VeriPlan automatically projects your financial [...])
- Lifetime Income Projections (Understand your lifetime projected income from multiple sources after state and federal income taxes
VeriPlan's saving for retirement calculator software projects each of your income sources separately. Plus, it separately projects wage and salary and self-employment earnings for two different earners. With this sophisticated retirement savings calculator, you can control the growth for any income source [...])
- Lifetime Tax Planning Software (Automatically project your lifetime federal, state, and local income taxes, capital gains taxes, property taxes, and other taxes
VeriPlan's tax calculator software automatically projects your real dollar tax obligations using current tax rates and tax limits that would apply in your particular situation. For example, regarding your income taxes and income tax rates, the VeriPlan tax [...])
- Personal financial planning best practices (VeriPlan helps you to learn about scientifically valid personal financial planning and investment portfolio management practices
Personal finance and investing can be baffling. You can try to learn what works and what does not work from the media or from the financial services industry, but this effort is largely futile. The media reports the financial news [...])
- Stock Asset Allocation (Project the value of your stock and equity assets across your lifetime
To develop your investment growth projections, VeriPlan's stock investment calculator software allows you can enter as many as 99 separate stock and equity asset holdings. For each of your current stock and equity holdings, you can also enter your investment portfolio costs and your [...])
- Roth IRA Calculators (Roth IRA Calculators
Using VeriPlan to evaluate Roth retirement account contribution and conversion trade-offs
This is the third part of a three-part article on Roth conversions and Roth IRA contribution calculators. The first part discusses the Roth account investment and asset conversion decision and the need for a sophisticated lifetime financial planning software tool to enable informed [...])
- Buying low cost mutual funds and ETFs (Do your mutual fund and ETF investment research – and do it BEFORE you buy
Screened mutual fund and ETF lists are very helpful to any investor who wishes to focus on low cost mutual funds and ETFs. However, this is just the beginning of the investment process and not the end. Always understand any security [...])
- VeriPlan Overview 6: Ten Automated Lifetime and Retirement Calculator Tools (VeriPlan Overview: Part 6 of 7
VeriPlan's 10 financial planning tools and retirement planning calculators
Retirement Planning Calculator Tool:
With this retirement planning tool, you can set individual retirement ages for Earners 1 and 2. You can select whether or not to retire simultaneously. You can also adjust your expected ordinary living expense budget in retirement and the [...])
- 2014-01: January 2014 What Works in Personal Finance Newsletter (
- What should your lifetime IRA, 401k, and Roth contribution strategies be? (VeriPlan helps you to decide what your lifetime IRA, 401k, Roth IRA, and Roth 401k contribution strategy should be
With IRA, 401k, and other tax-advantaged retirement investment portfolio accounts, you trade off the relative value of paying federal income taxes, state income taxes, and local income taxes now versus paying them either later or never. The [...])
« What should your lifetime IRA, 401k, and Roth contribution strategies be? | PERSONAL FINANCE SOFTWARE | Cash Asset Allocation »