2006 and 2007 Personal Income Tax Rates for the 50 States and DC
2006 and 2007 personal income tax rates for the 50 states and D.C.
The Skilled Investor has made available for downloading a spreadsheet that contains graduated personal income tax rates and other personal income tax rate information for the 50 states and the District of Columbia.
If you want to know about specific U.S. state personal graduated income tax rates for the 50 states and the District of Columbia, The Skilled Investor has published this information. A Microsoft Excel file is now available for downloading that includes these state income tax rates for both the “single” and “married, filing jointly” filing categories. This information may be useful to you, if you are considering, for example, whether to relocate to another state for work or for retirement.
The Skilled Investor compiled this information by visiting state government tax administration and legislative websites. Typically, the information compiled came from state personal tax documents and employer withholding information documents. In some cases, the information came from legislative documents. You will find that some of the state personal income tax rate information in this file is for the 2006 tax year (28 states) and some is for the 2007 tax year (22 states and D.C.). The tax administrators of many states are currently focused on filings for the 2006 tax year, so 2007 income tax rates have not yet been posted for many states. This file also contains some notes related to which states have no income taxes, flat tax rates, graduated tax rates, or other tax structures.
We have made an effort to ensure that this tax rate information is accurate. However, if you find any inaccuracies or you can point us to state sources with updated 2007 tax year information, please let us know by using the comment function below. All comments are moderated, so your comment will not post publicly, unless you make such a request.
To download this file, go to The Skilled Investor’s Downloads page. Scroll to the bottom and select the state tax rate document. Click on the “Download” floppy disk icon and accept the disclaimer. A dialog box will open asking whether to open the file directly with Excel or to save it to your hard disk. This process should be familiar to anyone who has downloaded any website files before.
You might also want to note that the Federation of Tax Administrators provides substantial additional information on state and local taxes. However, their state income tax rate information is not as timely as this file provided by The Skilled Investor, and the FTA does not specify particular taxable income tax rate breakpoints for states with graduated income tax rates. According to the FTA website, the FTA “was organized in 1937 to improve the quality of state tax administration by providing services to state tax authorities and administrators.” To find the FTA’s state tax information go to: http://www.taxadmin.org/ and click on “State Comparisons” to the left, then “Tax Rates.” In addition to state income tax information, you will find information on sales taxes, excise taxes, and other taxes at the state level.
Tags: personal income tax rates
Personal Financial Planning
- Use Scientifically Based Financial Planning Strategies (VeriPlan is designed to help you pursue scientifically based financial planning strategies
VeriPlan offers you unprecedented direct control to perform your own automated personal financial planning. VeriPlan's functionality also implements the principles of scientific finance. VeriPlan's internal documentation and its links to information on the web help you to understand scientifically based personal financial planning and [...])
- Reduce investment expenses and control taxation – Step 7 of 10 Financial Planning Steps in the Right Direction (CLICK HERE TO READ THE SKILLED INVESTOR's OTHER ARTICLES ABOUT THESE "10 FINANCIAL PLANNING STEPS IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION
Even with optimal investment strategies, there is still substantial room to improve upon net investment performance through continued and vigilant focus on controlling investment costs and tax realization.
The fees extracted by the financial securities industry increased substantially [...])
- Nationwide S&P 500 Index Fund – Class A Shares (GRMAX) fetch a +2 Fund Authority Score (Fund Authority Scores rate mutual funds and exchange traded funds (ETFs) on the most important economic factors that influence individual investors' net long term diversified investment fund performance. The Skilled Investor developed the Fund Authority Score system to provide individual investors with concise and objective summaries of mutual funds and ETFs for comparisons within investment [...])
- The Optimal Investment Strategy for Individual Investors (The Solution - ONLY follow financial strategies that are scientific, passive, diversified, savings focused, risk controlled, low cost, and tax efficient
A previous article, "The Problem - Straight answers about personal financial and investment planning are difficult to find," summarized important reasons why individuals may experience difficulties, even if they are intent upon doing better with [...])
- Factors Favoring Roth IRA and Roth 401k Plan Contributions (Factors that tend to favor Roth IRA and Roth 401k tax-advantaged plan contributions
In a recent article, "Traditional versus Roth tax-advantaged plan contributions," The Skilled Investor discussed why the average taxpayer would tend to benefit more by contributing to traditional rather than to tax-advantaged Roth IRA and Roth 401(k) retirement plans. This follow-up article in two-parts [...])
- Choose objective and competent financial advisers and investment counselors – Step 10 of 10 Financial Planning Steps in the Right Direction (CLICK HERE TO READ THE SKILLED INVESTOR's OTHER ARTICLES ABOUT THESE "10 FINANCIAL PLANNING STEPS IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION
Pick financial and investment advisers solely to obtain objective and high quality advice. Specific financial and investment advice is potentially of high quality, if it is carefully customized to your particular needs and is given by an [...])
- Select investments rationally – Step 6 of 10 Financial Planning Steps in the Right Direction (CLICK HERE TO READ THE SKILLED INVESTOR's OTHER ARTICLES ABOUT THESE "10 FINANCIAL PLANNING STEPS IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION
Given the extremely large number and variety of available securities, investors need a rational basis to select among them. Without rational selection criteria and a good understanding of which factors are more or less likely to increase [...])
- Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund (VGTSX) lands a +9 Fund Authority Score (The Vanguard Total International Stock Index mutual fund is a low cost alternative for broad, passive index investing internationally. This fund is a composite of three other Vanguard international funds: the Vanguard European Stock Index Fund (55.7%), the Vanguard Pacific Stock Index Fund (24.1%), and the Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index Fund (20.2%). The percentages [...])
- No Financial Planning Software or Calculator Can Predict the Future – Part 2 (No financial planning software and no investment growth calculator can predict the future - Part 2
The future in not predictable, even with automated financial planning software.
The future is fundamentally not predictable. The future of personal financial planning and investing is similarly unpredictable. The Skilled Investor's approach with VeriPlan is different. As a lifetime financial planning [...])
- The Kind of Financial Advisor You Need (
The kind of financial advisor you need - A Tip from The Skilled Investor
Good or bad, financial advisors are expensive. If you need a financial advisor's help and you carefully select a good financial advisor, the value of the personal finance and investment advice that you receive might easily repay the advisor cost. However, bad [...])
- Allocate investments across the primary asset classes – Step 5 of 10 Financial Planning Steps in the Right Direction (CLICK HERE TO READ THE SKILLED INVESTOR's OTHER ARTICLES ABOUT THESE "10 FINANCIAL PLANNING STEPS IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION
Appropriately setting your personal investment asset allocation in line with your personal investment risk tolerance is a critical decision for every individual investor.
Because the average risk-averse investor holds the average portfolio asset allocation, this becomes the starting [...])
- Your Investment Risk Tolerance Drives Your Asset Allocation Decision (
Your personal tolerance for investment risk should drive your asset allocation decision - A Tip from The Skilled Investor
Your tolerance for investment risk is a relative thing. Few people like investment risk, but some can handle it better than others do. The more investment risk you can and are willing to tolerate, the higher your [...])
- Tax-Advantaged Retirement Investing Is Good for Most People (Tax-advantaged investing is very good for most people at most times
A previous article, “The Solution - ONLY follow financial strategies that are scientific, passive, diversified, savings focused, risk controlled, low cost, and tax efficient,” suggested that individuals are much better off with a well-considered financial viewpoint. A stable set of financial beliefs can help you [...])
- Rational Mutual Fund and ETF Screening Rules (Scientific mutual fund and ETF screening criteria: a summary
Scientifically based selection criteria are rational methods to screen mutual funds and ETFs.
Recently, The Skilled Investor Blog published a series of articles on scientifically based selection criteria for mutual funds and exchange traded funds (ETFs). These screening rules help you to winnow down the thousands of available [...])
- Analyze Multiple Personal Financial Planning Decisions Simultaneously with VeriPlan (VeriPlan allows you to analyze multiple personal financial decisions simultaneously
Personal financial and investment decisions are complex, because so many different factors are in play simultaneously. When an integrated financial software application like VeriPlan is developed by people who understand scientific financial projection methods, all these different factors can be measured and automated on a modern [...])
Comments are closed.