Build Investment Asset Buffers to Protect Yourself from Market Volatility
Build Investment Asset Buffers to Protect Yourself from Market Volatility
You may be just as nervous as the next person is about investment risk. However, the coverage of your future expenses by your accumulated assets will determine whether you can actually manage, when risk really happens.
A previous article, “The Solution – ONLY follow financial strategies that are scientific, passive, diversified, savings focused, risk controlled, low cost, and tax efficient,” suggested that individuals are much better off with a well-considered financial viewpoint. A stable set of financial beliefs can help you to keep focused and on track throughout your life. This follow-up article discusses the need to build asset buffers to anticipate future turbulence in asset market values and personal income.
Securities markets have more often delivered good rather than bad returns, which makes them worth participating in, if you can tolerate the volatility.
However, sometimes the equity markets in particular can decline in a very nasty manner. You can never tell when this will happen or whether it will be quick or slow. Rates of subsequent recovery in equity market values are similarly unpredictable.
Therefore, one requirement of investing is to ensure that you can ride out these negative equity market vicissitudes without being forced to liquidate or sell in a panic. More substantial asset buffers and better knowledge of the projected coverage of your expenses by your less volatile cash and fixed income assets will help you to ride out these bad times.
How VeriPlan can help: VeriPlan projects the safety margin that your cash and fixed income assets may provide to cover your projected expenses. This feature compares your projected expenses against the projected value of your cash and shorter-term fixed income assets. It simulates the situation when, simultaneously, the equity markets decline significantly and you lose all earned and retirement income sources. However unlikely this may seem, it tells you how strong you boat could be.
Tags: fixed income
Personal Financial Planning
- 2006 and 2007 Personal Income Tax Rates for the 50 States and DC (
2006 and 2007 personal income tax rates for the 50 states and D.C.
The Skilled Investor has made available for downloading a spreadsheet that contains graduated personal income tax rates and other personal income tax rate information for the 50 states and the District of Columbia.
If you want to know about specific U.S. state personal graduated [...])
- California Investment S & P 500 Index Direct (SPFIX) pulls in a +8 Fund Authority Score (
The Standard & Poors 500 stock index is the most common equity index fund benchmark in the U.S. The S and P 500 tracks about 75% of publicly traded U.S. equity market asset value. The dominant issue in choosing among passively managed index mutual funds and ETF funds benchmarked against the S & P 500 [...])
- Insure against risks economically – Step 8 of 10 Financial Planning Steps in the Right Direction (CLICK HERE TO READ THE SKILLED INVESTOR's OTHER ARTICLES ABOUT THESE "10 FINANCIAL PLANNING STEPS IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION
While value, affordability, risk exposure, and risk tolerance should affect insurance purchase decisions, insurance is often sold and purchased emotionally. Yet, insurance premium payments reduce personal funds that might otherwise be available for additional investments. Many people [...])
- Traditional IRA and 401k Versus Roth IRA and Roth 401k Contributions (Traditional IRA and 401k versus Roth IRA and Roth 401(k) plan contributions
Many taxpayers puzzle over whether to contribute to traditional versus Roth tax-advantaged retirement plans. For most people, contributions to traditional tax-advantaged plans will probably provide a higher net present value over their lifetimes.
Given our tax-related software modeling capabilities, The Skilled Investor has some observations [...])
- The Birth of Yet Another Darn Asset Class – Infrastructure (The Birth of Yet Another Darn "Asset Class" - "Infrastructure"
Recently, The Skilled Investor published two articles:
The first article discussed how the financial industry keeps manufacturing new asset classes for brokers and investment advisors to sell to individual investors. The Skilled Investor raised the question of whether these new asset classes are likely to serve the [...])
- Time Spent on the Wrong Financial Activities Is Bad for You (
Spending your valuable time on the wrong financial activities is just plain bad for you
A previous article, “The Solution - ONLY follow financial strategies that are scientific, passive, diversified, savings focused, risk controlled, low cost, and tax efficient,” suggested that individuals are much better off with a well-considered financial viewpoint. This follow-up article discusses the [...])
- Reduce investment expenses and control taxation – Step 7 of 10 Financial Planning Steps in the Right Direction (CLICK HERE TO READ THE SKILLED INVESTOR's OTHER ARTICLES ABOUT THESE "10 FINANCIAL PLANNING STEPS IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION
Even with optimal investment strategies, there is still substantial room to improve upon net investment performance through continued and vigilant focus on controlling investment costs and tax realization.
The fees extracted by the financial securities industry increased substantially [...])
- Use Scientifically Based Financial Planning Strategies (VeriPlan is designed to help you pursue scientifically based financial planning strategies
VeriPlan offers you unprecedented direct control to perform your own automated personal financial planning. VeriPlan's functionality also implements the principles of scientific finance. VeriPlan's internal documentation and its links to information on the web help you to understand scientifically based personal financial planning and [...])
- The Most Important Determinants of Your Lifetime Wealth (
Your personal earnings, expenditures, and savings are the most important determinants of your family’s long-term financial wealth
Summary: How much you earn, spend, and save are by far the most dominant determinants of your long-term financial well-being. Self-control in your decision-making regarding consumption is far more important than clever investing. Expenditure control works, while attempts [...])
- The Biggest Personal Finance Story of the Past 30 Years – Part 3 (< <-- Go to Part 2
The Biggest Personal Finance Story of the Past 30 Years - Part 3
There is no reason to believe that industry self-regulation or governmental regulation will ever fix these problems. Only those individuals who become wise enough to be proactive and seek out lower cost financial products will stop getting fleeced. [...])
- I Write to the President of CitiBank Customer Service (PIRATES OF THE CREDIT SEA -- Part 5: I write to the President of CitiBank Customer Service
My saga to recover my credit card treasure continues. Previous articles have covered the particulars of my situation, and I will not repeat them.
In summary, for fifteen years I have always done my best to conform to my AT&T [...])
- The Investment Returns You Lose to Investment Sales Loads (VeriPlan automatically tracks returns lost to investment sales loads
Many justifications for investment sales load charges might be offered by financial advisors during the sales process, but once a front-end load is charged, your diminished portfolio will 'forget' about the load charge for the rest of your life.
Loads become 'phantom' assets, which are rarely spoken of [...])
- How to Lie with Statistics – Investment Performance Charts (How to lie with statistics: Investment performance charts - A Tip from The Skilled Investor
Darrell Huff wrote a short and very informative book, "How to Lie with Statistics," which was first published in 1954 and was amusingly illustrated by Irving Geis. This book is still in print and remains very popular (Amazon book rank #2,040 [...])
- Understand Your Lifetime Personal Savings Requirements (VeriPlan helps you to understand your lifetime personal savings requirements and whether your current savings rate is sufficient
How much you earn, spend, and save are by far the most dominant determinants of your long-term financial well-being.
You need a means to evaluate your current sustainable lifecycle consumption rate. VeriPlan provides such a means. VeriPlan projects your [...])
- Risk-Free Investment Money Is Fantasy Money (
For Individual Investors Risk-Free Investment Money Is Fantasy Money
Securities with low investment risk and high investment returns are just fantasies.
No "risk-free" investment money is consistently and reliably available to individuals. Luck dominates skill in the securities markets. Clever investment selection is vastly over-hyped, and only the promoters tend to benefit. On average over long periods, [...])
Comments are closed.