The Biggest Personal Finance Story of the Past 30 Years – Part 1
What could the biggest personal finance story of three decades be?
The growth of mutual funds and ETFs? Nope.
The dot com boom and bust? Nope.
Vanishing pensions? Nope.
The not-so-high quality of mortgage bonds? Nope.
A 0% personal savings rate nationally? Nope. (But, that is a strong contender.)
To break the suspense, the biggest personal finance story of the past 30 years has been the dramatic growth of the market capitalization of financial services firms within the U.S. equity markets!
Huh? Why is this so important to personal finance? Why should I care, if the market capitalization of the financial services sector has grown dramatically? That certainly does not sound as cool as trading to beat the markets, craving hedge funds, betting on commodities futures, or even tossing Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan into the slammer.
Well, the reason that this is so important to your personal finances is pretty straightforward. Simply put, most individuals pay far too much for financial products and services. Their continuing overpayments show up in the increasing value of financial services company stocks. People have paid far too much for years, and the industry’s excessive charges have been increasing for years. (See these related articles on The Skilled Investor website: Controlling Investment Costs )
In return, individuals receive far too little. Exorbitant and increasing investment costs, high banking fees, predatory credit card charges, excessive insurance costs, etc. simply represent a massive wealth transfer from the personal pocket books of average individuals into the coffers of the financial services industry and into the high paychecks of their employees.
Name the one industry that has a reputation for high salaries and bonuses, which the media trumpets to you like this is somehow good news and worthy of envy. That one industry is the financial services industry and, particularly, the securities segment of the financial services industry. Yet, even after financial services companies have paid these huge personnel expenses and even after they have paid for all those high end commercial office buildings with shiny brass, plate glass, and mahogany furnishings, the financial industry is still highly profitable. Financial services sector profits and earnings growth rates have made this the largest sector of the S&P 500 stock market index!
I hope that by now I have your attention. Understanding this situation is very important to you. Taking action to reduce the costs of financial products and services that you buy is critical to your pocketbook over your lifetime.
To understand what has happened to the market valuation of the financial services sector, particularly over the last 30 years, you should view Figure 4 on page 16 of the financial study by Jeremy Siegel and Jeremy Schwartz entitled: “The Long-term Returns on the Original S&P 500 Firms.” [Note that this is an Adobe Acrobat document on The Wharton School of Business website at the University of Pennsylvania. Be patient and let it load.]
The next part of this series of articles will discuss the meaning of this Figure 4 graphic in the Siegel and Schwartz paper. Stay tuned via the RSS links in the right-hand column.
A helpful word from our sponsor:
DO YOUR OWN LIFETIME FINANCIAL PLANNING — easily in your own home!
VeriPlan lets you focus on your own particular financial needs, circumstances, and goals. VeriPlan is the most powerful and sophisticated do-it-yourself financial planning software available to you.
As a fully integrated lifetime personal financial planner, VeriPlan automatically and instantly projects annual values over your lifetime for your family’s income, living expenses, debts, taxes, taxable and tax-deferred assets, and property. Every VeriPlan lifetime projection presents your personalized financial information net of your federal, state, and local taxes and your investment costs.
Tags: commodities futures
Personal Financial Planning
- Analyze Multiple Personal Financial Planning Decisions Simultaneously with VeriPlan (VeriPlan allows you to analyze multiple personal financial decisions simultaneously
Personal financial and investment decisions are complex, because so many different factors are in play simultaneously. When an integrated financial software application like VeriPlan is developed by people who understand scientific financial projection methods, all these different factors can be measured and automated on a modern [...])
- No Financial Planning Software or Calculator Can Predict the Future (No financial planning software and no investment growth calculator can predict the future
The future is simply not predictable, even with automated financial planning software.
A previous financial article, “The Solution - ONLY follow financial strategies that are scientific, passive, diversified, savings focused, risk controlled, low cost, and tax efficient,” suggested that investors are much better off [...])
- American Funds – Income Fund of America – Class A Shares (AMECX) rate a +2 Fund Authority Score (Fund Authority Scores rate mutual funds and exchange traded funds (ETFs) on the most important economic factors that influence individual investors' net long term diversified investment fund performance. The Skilled Investor developed the Fund Authority Score system to provide individual investors with concise and objective summaries of mutual funds and ETFs for comparisons within investment [...])
- Insure against risks economically – Step 8 of 10 Financial Planning Steps in the Right Direction (CLICK HERE TO READ THE SKILLED INVESTOR's OTHER ARTICLES ABOUT THESE "10 FINANCIAL PLANNING STEPS IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION
While value, affordability, risk exposure, and risk tolerance should affect insurance purchase decisions, insurance is often sold and purchased emotionally. Yet, insurance premium payments reduce personal funds that might otherwise be available for additional investments. Many people [...])
- Use Scientifically Based Financial Planning Strategies (VeriPlan is designed to help you pursue scientifically based financial planning strategies
VeriPlan offers you unprecedented direct control to perform your own automated personal financial planning. VeriPlan's functionality also implements the principles of scientific finance. VeriPlan's internal documentation and its links to information on the web help you to understand scientifically based personal financial planning and [...])
- Understand Your Projected Expenses Over Your Lifetime (Do-It-Yourself Financial Planning - Understand your projected expenses over your lifetime
Increased savings through conscious expenditure reduction is the largest and most controllable factor in long-term personal finance success.
Anyone interested in improving personal financial planning must understand that tracking expenses accurately and comprehensively is very important. Exactly how your expenses are tracked is not so important, [...])
- I Want My Treasure Back Please (PIRATES OF THE CREDIT SEA - Part 3: I want my treasure back!! (Please)
What are my rights in the situation that I summarized in my previous article: "PIRATES OF THE CREDIT SEA: My Treasure Is Taken!"? Well, the answer is very simple. I have a contractual right to get my treasure back. I also have [...])
- Screening Mutual Funds On-Line with Morningstar.com (
Screening mutual funds on-line with Morningstar.com
Summary: In this article, The Skilled Investor discusses how to screen mutual funds on-line using our seven scientifically based mutual fund screening criteria. This article focuses on using the free mutual fund screener and database available at Morningstar.com.
In a previous article, The Skilled Investor has discussed minimum requirements [...])
- Mutual Fund and ETF Screening Requirements (
On-line screening of mutual funds and ETFs: minimum requirements
In this article, The Skilled Investor discusses minimum requirements for on-line mutual fund and ETF screening tools. This article summarizes our seven scientifically based fund selection criteria and reports on our survey of the capabilities of free on-line website tools to do screens using these criteria.
Automated fund [...])
- The John Bogle Blog and His Financial Article About ETFs (John C. Bogle's Blog and his article about ETFs
This article is a heads-up to people interested in investment blogs and personal finance blogs.
John C. Bogle, the founder of The Vanguard Group, Inc., has a blog called The Bogle eBlog. (If you are wondering about "eBlog," it is an anagram of Bogle.) Mr. Bogle just posted [...])
- American Funds – Capital Income Builder Fund – Class A Shares (CAIBX) attain a +4 Fund Authority Score (Fund Authority Scores rate mutual funds and exchange traded funds (ETFs) on the most important economic factors that influence individual investors' net long term diversified investment fund performance. The Skilled Investor developed the Fund Authority Score system to provide individual investors with concise and objective summaries of mutual funds and ETFs for comparisons within investment [...])
- Conclusion to: What Is a Well-Diversified Investment Portfolio? (<<-- Continued from Part 1
In addition to showing that large numbers of additional stocks are required to achieve measurable improvements in diversification, the Evans and Archer study clarified other requirements for a well-diversified portfolio. The number of stocks selected for a highly diversified portfolio also depends on what one actually means by "the market."
To achieve [...])
- The Birth of Yet Another Darn Asset Class – Infrastructure (The Birth of Yet Another Darn "Asset Class" - "Infrastructure"
Recently, The Skilled Investor published two articles:
The first article discussed how the financial industry keeps manufacturing new asset classes for brokers and investment advisors to sell to individual investors. The Skilled Investor raised the question of whether these new asset classes are likely to serve the [...])
- Choose objective and competent financial advisers and investment counselors – Step 10 of 10 Financial Planning Steps in the Right Direction (CLICK HERE TO READ THE SKILLED INVESTOR's OTHER ARTICLES ABOUT THESE "10 FINANCIAL PLANNING STEPS IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION
Pick financial and investment advisers solely to obtain objective and high quality advice. Specific financial and investment advice is potentially of high quality, if it is carefully customized to your particular needs and is given by an [...])
- Build Investment Asset Buffers to Protect Yourself from Market Volatility (
Build Investment Asset Buffers to Protect Yourself from Market Volatility
You may be just as nervous as the next person is about investment risk. However, the coverage of your future expenses by your accumulated assets will determine whether you can actually manage, when risk really happens.
A previous article, "The Solution - ONLY follow financial strategies that [...])