Do-It-Yourself Financial Planning – Understand your projected expenses over your lifetime
Increased savings through conscious expenditure reduction is the largest and most controllable factor in long-term personal finance success.
Anyone interested in improving personal financial planning must understand that tracking expenses accurately and comprehensively is very important. Exactly how your expenses are tracked is not so important, as long as the results are relatively accurate. Greater savings through better expenditure control and/or increased income are not abstractions. Whether you will achieve your expenditure and savings goals depends upon your commitment to stay within your budget and upon your accurate measurement of your income, expenditures, and savings.
Along with your efforts to increase earned income, the savings factor largely determines your lifelong financial success or failure by steadily and more substantially feeding a rational investment program. Cleverness in the selection of particular investments is a far, far less reliable, less important, and most often negative factor in long-run personal financial success. (See these three categories of related articles on The Skilled Investor website: Selecting Investment Funds, Financial Decision Rules, and Financial Planning Process)
VeriPlan’s EXPENSES graphic for a professional couple with children
To develop your own highly customized personal financial plan, you can project your lifetime expenditures using VeriPlan. Below is an example of VeriPlan’s EXPENSES graphic, which is automatically and instantly generated for every projection that you make. This particular graphic comes from VeriPlan’s “Sue and Sam Saver” tutorial. This graphic shows Sue and Sam’s projected expenses across their lifecycle in a variety of expense categories, including ordinary living expenses, major planned expenses, and taxes.
Your expenses in VeriPlan will also reflect any projected adjustments that you make. In this case, Sue and Sam are automatically projecting the costs of buying a home in the near term and the costs of sending their two children to college when Sue and Sam are in their early 40′s. Using marginal tax rates, VeriPlan automatically projects federal, state, and local income taxes plus Social Security, Medicare, self-employment, and property taxes.
Demonstrating a comprehensive projection for a professional couple with children, the VeriPlan tutorial can help you to understand what VeriPlan can do. Use this link to download a free copy of the VeriPlan tutorial file:
VeriPlan’s EXPENSES graphic projects your expenses related to living expenses and the taxes that are related primarily to non-asset earned and retirement income. The graphic includes:
* Ordinary living expenses with your real dollar growth rates adjustments
* Major planned expenses with your real dollar growth rates adjustments
* Your federal income taxes, state income taxes, and local income taxes related to earned income and retirement income
* Your federal, state, and local ordinary income taxes on asset income (reinvested interest and short-term capital gains)
* Your tax payments related to FICA (Social Security), Medicare, self-employment, property, real estate, and other non-capital gains taxes
Because ordinary earned income and ordinary asset income tax treatments are similar, VeriPlan combines both earned income and asset income sources here for taxation purposes. Generally, most asset income taxes will be from current interest and dividend payments on cash and bond/fixed income assets. (Note that this graphic excludes investment expenses related to their asset portfolio, which are presented elsewhere on VeriPlan’s asset-related investment efficiency graphics.)
VeriPlan Is Simply The
Best Financial Planning Software
You Can Buy!
Only $57 for a license for ALL your household PCs
… with Free Shipping of the CD within the USA
Full 30-Day, 100% Money Back Guarantee — No Questions Asked
No Support Contract Required
No Need To Buy Upgrades, Since All Parameters Are User-Changeable
VeriPlan is a Great Product, a Great Deal,
and a Great Help with Your Personal Financial Planning.
Thank You Very Much for Your Order!
Note: We mail your VeriPlan CD on the next business day after PayPal has notified us of your order. When your order ships, we will send a shipment notification email to you using the email address supplied by PayPal. VeriPlan is shipped via the USPS, and deliveries typically take 3 to 10 days to arrive.
Tags: personal financial planning
Personal Financial Planning
- Fidelity Spartan 500 Index mutual fund (FSMKX) achieves the Best +10 Fund Authority Score (
The Standard & Poors 500 stock index is the most common equity index fund benchmark in the U.S. The S and P 500 tracks about 75% of publicly traded U.S. equity market asset value. The dominant issue in choosing among passively managed index mutual funds and ETF funds benchmarked against the S & P 500 [...])
- What Works Financial Newsletter – October 2011 (
October 2011 Newsletter
Identity Theft Protection and Prevention
As a threat to your financial security, you should take the potential for identity theft very seriously. Identity theft sometimes entails a loss of your money. However, whether or not you lose money, identity theft usually takes a very large amount of your time to rectify. To prevent an [...])
- 15 Value-Added Individual Investor Activities (Before estimating the investment value that you might add or take away from your portfolio, you first need to determine whether your strategies are or are not likely to lead to optimal risk-adjusted investment returns.
This value estimation is separate from any hourly opportunity cost related to spending time on your investments versus an alternative use [...])
- Your Valuable Assets Are Simply Your Evolving Estate (
Your investment portfolio and other property assets are simply your evolving estate
A previous financial article, “The Solution - ONLY follow financial strategies that are scientific, passive, diversified, savings focused, risk controlled, low cost, and tax efficient,” suggested that investors are much better off with a well-considered financial plan. A stable set of financial beliefs can [...])
- No Financial Planning Software or Calculator Can Predict the Future – Part 2 (No financial planning software and no investment growth calculator can predict the future - Part 2
The future in not predictable, even with automated financial planning software.
The future is fundamentally not predictable. The future of personal financial planning and investing is similarly unpredictable. The Skilled Investor's approach with VeriPlan is different. As a lifetime financial planning [...])
- Most Individual Investors Are Poor Personal Portfolio Managers (Most individual investors are poor investment portfolio managers
Investors more easily understand investment costs that are directly measurable, such as fees deducted on investment statements. However, many investors ignore or are unaware of the “opportunity costs” of their sub-optimal investment behaviors. Opportunity costs are usually much more difficult to measure directly, but these investment costs can [...])
- The Heavy Burden of Recurring Investment Expenses and Fees (
The heavy burden of recurring investment fees (Part 1 of 2)
Recurring investment costs can significantly impact the long-term value of your retained investment portfolio assets.
Recurring fees, such as asset management fees, 12b-1 marketing fees, and advisory/asset custody fees are charged periodically, as a percent of your investment assets. The relative cost-efficiency of your investment portfolio [...])
- Earned Income Drives the Personal Finances of Most People (Do-It-Yourself Financial Planning - Earned income drives the personal finances of most people
The ability to project your various income sources automatically over your lifetime is one of the first steps in creating a useful do-it-yourself personal financial plan. Whether from wages and salary or from self-employment, personal earned income drives the lifetime finances of most [...])
- Vantagepoint 500 Stock Index mutual fund Class II Shares (VPSKX) rate a +9 Fund Authority Score (Here is some really good news for you. The Skilled Investor has published an article about lower cost S&P 500 index mutual funds that you can read, entitled: Low Cost S&P 500 Index Mutual Funds. The Standard & Poors 500 stock index is the most common equity index fund benchmark in the U.S. The S [...])
- Use Caution with Classical Investment Books (Use Caution with Classical Investment Books - A Tip from The Skilled Investor
Individual investors should exercise caution when applying the tactics of classical investment books to current markets. The more handcrafted, seat-of-the-pants, and individual actor approach to the securities markets in the pre-computer, pre-networking era has given way to different practices. What might have worked [...])
- Automated Tool Aligns Your Investment Risk Tolerance and Asset Allocation (Check out this automated tool for aligning your investment risk tolerance and asset allocation - A Tip from The Skilled Investor
Your tolerance for investment risk is a relative thing. Few people like investment risk, but some can handle it better than others can. The more investment risk you are willing to tolerate, the higher your [...])
- My Treasure Is Taken by My Credit Card Company (
PIRATES OF THE CREDIT SEA - Part 1: My Treasure Is Taken!
Regular readers of The Skilled Investor have already been warned previously of the general dangers of consumer debt and of the risks associated with credit cards. Now, The Skilled Investor has himself become ensnared. In a series of articles, I will: A) summarize my [...])
- Fund Authority Scores for Stock ETFs and Mutual Funds – Fund maturity and operating efficiency (
Fund Authority Scores rate mutual funds and ETFs on the most important economic factors affecting long term diversified stock or equity investment fund performance. This article explains the investment fund maturity and operating efficiency factors.
<<-- Go to Part 2
Parts 1 and 2 of this article discussed the first three, most heavily weighted factors used in [...])
- Set your personal savings and other financial goals – Step 2 of 10 Financial Planning Steps in the Right Direction (CLICK HERE TO READ THE SKILLED INVESTOR's OTHER ARTICLES ABOUT THESE "10 FINANCIAL PLANNING STEPS IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION."
The single most significant financial lever that individuals control directly is their management of personal expenditures. The second is their lifetime effort to obtain sufficient income. Most people simply do not save enough of their current income [...])
- American Funds – Growth Fund of America – Class A Shares (AGTHX) collect a +2 Fund Authority Score (
The investment fund objective of American Funds' Growth Fund of America
With 4.4 million shareholder accounts, the Growth Fund of America (AGTHX) is the largest actively managed stock mutual fund in the United States. According to American Funds prospectus, the investment objective of the Growth Fund of America "is to provide you with growth of capital."