Do-It-Yourself Financial Planning – Understand your projected expenses over your lifetime
Increased savings through conscious expenditure reduction is the largest and most controllable factor in long-term personal finance success.
Anyone interested in improving personal financial planning must understand that tracking expenses accurately and comprehensively is very important. Exactly how your expenses are tracked is not so important, as long as the results are relatively accurate. Greater savings through better expenditure control and/or increased income are not abstractions. Whether you will achieve your expenditure and savings goals depends upon your commitment to stay within your budget and upon your accurate measurement of your income, expenditures, and savings.
Along with your efforts to increase earned income, the savings factor largely determines your lifelong financial success or failure by steadily and more substantially feeding a rational investment program. Cleverness in the selection of particular investments is a far, far less reliable, less important, and most often negative factor in long-run personal financial success. (See these three categories of related articles on The Skilled Investor website: Selecting Investment Funds, Financial Decision Rules, and Financial Planning Process)
VeriPlan’s EXPENSES graphic for a professional couple with children
To develop your own highly customized personal financial plan, you can project your lifetime expenditures using VeriPlan. Below is an example of VeriPlan’s EXPENSES graphic, which is automatically and instantly generated for every projection that you make. This particular graphic comes from VeriPlan’s “Sue and Sam Saver” tutorial. This graphic shows Sue and Sam’s projected expenses across their lifecycle in a variety of expense categories, including ordinary living expenses, major planned expenses, and taxes.
Your expenses in VeriPlan will also reflect any projected adjustments that you make. In this case, Sue and Sam are automatically projecting the costs of buying a home in the near term and the costs of sending their two children to college when Sue and Sam are in their early 40′s. Using marginal tax rates, VeriPlan automatically projects federal, state, and local income taxes plus Social Security, Medicare, self-employment, and property taxes.
Demonstrating a comprehensive projection for a professional couple with children, the VeriPlan tutorial can help you to understand what VeriPlan can do. Use this link to download a free copy of the VeriPlan tutorial file:
VeriPlan’s EXPENSES graphic projects your expenses related to living expenses and the taxes that are related primarily to non-asset earned and retirement income. The graphic includes:
* Ordinary living expenses with your real dollar growth rates adjustments
* Major planned expenses with your real dollar growth rates adjustments
* Your federal income taxes, state income taxes, and local income taxes related to earned income and retirement income
* Your federal, state, and local ordinary income taxes on asset income (reinvested interest and short-term capital gains)
* Your tax payments related to FICA (Social Security), Medicare, self-employment, property, real estate, and other non-capital gains taxes
Because ordinary earned income and ordinary asset income tax treatments are similar, VeriPlan combines both earned income and asset income sources here for taxation purposes. Generally, most asset income taxes will be from current interest and dividend payments on cash and bond/fixed income assets. (Note that this graphic excludes investment expenses related to their asset portfolio, which are presented elsewhere on VeriPlan’s asset-related investment efficiency graphics.)
VeriPlan Is Simply The
Best Financial Planning Software
You Can Buy!
Only $57 for a license for ALL your household PCs
… with Free Shipping of the CD within the USA
Full 30-Day, 100% Money Back Guarantee — No Questions Asked
No Support Contract Required
No Need To Buy Upgrades, Since All Parameters Are User-Changeable
VeriPlan is a Great Product, a Great Deal,
and a Great Help with Your Personal Financial Planning.
Thank You Very Much for Your Order!
Note: We mail your VeriPlan CD on the next business day after PayPal has notified us of your order. When your order ships, we will send a shipment notification email to you using the email address supplied by PayPal. VeriPlan is shipped via the USPS, and deliveries typically take 3 to 10 days to arrive.
Tags: investment fund
Personal Financial Planning
- Choose Sufficiently Mature Mutual Funds and ETFs (Choose sufficiently mature mutual funds and ETFs
Investing in more mature equity and bond mutual funds and exhanged-traded funds (ETFs) allows you to evaluate the historical consistency of a fund's record.
On average, the future portfolio returns of more mature funds are probably no more predictable than for very young funds with a similar style or strategy. [...])
- American Funds – Income Fund of America – Class A Shares (AMECX) rate a +2 Fund Authority Score (Fund Authority Scores rate mutual funds and exchange traded funds (ETFs) on the most important economic factors that influence individual investors' net long term diversified investment fund performance. The Skilled Investor developed the Fund Authority Score system to provide individual investors with concise and objective summaries of mutual funds and ETFs for comparisons within investment [...])
- Schwab S&P 500 Index Fund – Select Shares (SWPPX) capture the Best +10 Fund Authority Score (
Fund Authority Scores rate mutual funds and exchange traded funds (ETFs) on the most important economic factors that influence individual investors' net long term diversified investment fund performance. The Skilled Investor developed the Fund Authority Score system to provide individual investors with concise, objective, and realistic summaries of mutual funds and ETFs for comparisons within [...])
- How Investment Sales Loads and One Time Investment Fees Work (Understanding one-time investment fees, such as sales loads
Sales load charges and commissions on investment purchases differ from the financial service industry's numerous other recurring methods of charging fees to their retail consumers.
Sales loads are less straightforward to analyze for investment lifetime cost-effectiveness, compared to annually recurring charges. (See: Pay less to get more)
If you have [...])
- Analyze Multiple Personal Financial Planning Decisions Simultaneously with VeriPlan (VeriPlan allows you to analyze multiple personal financial decisions simultaneously
Personal financial and investment decisions are complex, because so many different factors are in play simultaneously. When an integrated financial software application like VeriPlan is developed by people who understand scientific financial projection methods, all these different factors can be measured and automated on a modern [...])
- American Funds – EuroPacific Growth Fund – Class A Shares (AEPGX) get a +2 Fund Authority Score (The diversified investment fund strategy of American Funds' EuroPacific Growth Fund
According to American Funds' Annual Report for the EuroPacific Growth Fund, the fund "seeks long-term capital appreciation by investing primarily in the securities of companies based in Europe and the Pacific Basin." American Fund's 497 filing on the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission EDGAR system [...])
- American Funds – The Investment Company of America – Class A Shares (AIVSX) net a +3 Fund Authority Score (Fund Authority Scores rate mutual funds and exchange traded funds (ETFs) on the most important economic factors that influence individual investors' net long term diversified investment fund performance. The Skilled Investor developed the Fund Authority Score system to provide individual investors with concise and objective summaries of mutual funds and ETFs for comparisons within investment [...])
- Determine the Savings You Need for Your Lifetime Financial Goals (You cannot invest without savings. How much savings are enough? ... too little? ... too much?
Currently, the U.S. is experiencing a savings crisis. The net personal savings rate is zero or slightly negative, despite a healthy and growing economy. This situation is a prescription for millions upon millions of future personal financial disasters. (See: [...])
- Comparing the Quicken and VeriPlan Lifetime Financial Planners (Comparing the Quicken and VeriPlan Lifetime Financial Planners
The Quicken personal finances organizer application includes the Quicken Retirement Planner, which projects the personal finances of a person or family across a lifetime. VeriPlan is a comprehensive and fully automated personal financial lifecycle planner for individuals and their families.
In this series of short articles, The Skilled Investor [...])
- Use Caution with Classical Investment Books (Use Caution with Classical Investment Books - A Tip from The Skilled Investor
Individual investors should exercise caution when applying the tactics of classical investment books to current markets. The more handcrafted, seat-of-the-pants, and individual actor approach to the securities markets in the pre-computer, pre-networking era has given way to different practices. What might have worked [...])
- Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund (VGTSX) lands a +9 Fund Authority Score (The Vanguard Total International Stock Index mutual fund is a low cost alternative for broad, passive index investing internationally. This fund is a composite of three other Vanguard international funds: the Vanguard European Stock Index Fund (55.7%), the Vanguard Pacific Stock Index Fund (24.1%), and the Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index Fund (20.2%). The percentages [...])
- The Investment Returns You Lose to Investment Sales Loads (VeriPlan automatically tracks returns lost to investment sales loads
Many justifications for investment sales load charges might be offered by financial advisors during the sales process, but once a front-end load is charged, your diminished portfolio will 'forget' about the load charge for the rest of your life.
Loads become 'phantom' assets, which are rarely spoken of [...])
- The Biggest Personal Finance Story of the Past 30 Years – Part 3 (< <-- Go to Part 2
The Biggest Personal Finance Story of the Past 30 Years - Part 3
There is no reason to believe that industry self-regulation or governmental regulation will ever fix these problems. Only those individuals who become wise enough to be proactive and seek out lower cost financial products will stop getting fleeced. [...])
- American Funds – Capital Income Builder Fund – Class A Shares (CAIBX) attain a +4 Fund Authority Score (Fund Authority Scores rate mutual funds and exchange traded funds (ETFs) on the most important economic factors that influence individual investors' net long term diversified investment fund performance. The Skilled Investor developed the Fund Authority Score system to provide individual investors with concise and objective summaries of mutual funds and ETFs for comparisons within investment [...])
- Automated Tool Aligns Your Investment Risk Tolerance and Asset Allocation (Check out this automated tool for aligning your investment risk tolerance and asset allocation - A Tip from The Skilled Investor
Your tolerance for investment risk is a relative thing. Few people like investment risk, but some can handle it better than others can. The more investment risk you are willing to tolerate, the higher your [...])