Do-It-Yourself Financial Planning – Understand your projected expenses over your lifetime
Increased savings through conscious expenditure reduction is the largest and most controllable factor in long-term personal finance success.
Anyone interested in improving personal financial planning must understand that tracking expenses accurately and comprehensively is very important. Exactly how your expenses are tracked is not so important, as long as the results are relatively accurate. Greater savings through better expenditure control and/or increased income are not abstractions. Whether you will achieve your expenditure and savings goals depends upon your commitment to stay within your budget and upon your accurate measurement of your income, expenditures, and savings.
Along with your efforts to increase earned income, the savings factor largely determines your lifelong financial success or failure by steadily and more substantially feeding a rational investment program. Cleverness in the selection of particular investments is a far, far less reliable, less important, and most often negative factor in long-run personal financial success. (See these three categories of related articles on The Skilled Investor website: Selecting Investment Funds, Financial Decision Rules, and Financial Planning Process)
VeriPlan’s EXPENSES graphic for a professional couple with children
To develop your own highly customized personal financial plan, you can project your lifetime expenditures using VeriPlan. Below is an example of VeriPlan’s EXPENSES graphic, which is automatically and instantly generated for every projection that you make. This particular graphic comes from VeriPlan’s “Sue and Sam Saver” tutorial. This graphic shows Sue and Sam’s projected expenses across their lifecycle in a variety of expense categories, including ordinary living expenses, major planned expenses, and taxes.
Your expenses in VeriPlan will also reflect any projected adjustments that you make. In this case, Sue and Sam are automatically projecting the costs of buying a home in the near term and the costs of sending their two children to college when Sue and Sam are in their early 40′s. Using marginal tax rates, VeriPlan automatically projects federal, state, and local income taxes plus Social Security, Medicare, self-employment, and property taxes.
Demonstrating a comprehensive projection for a professional couple with children, the VeriPlan tutorial can help you to understand what VeriPlan can do. Use this link to download a free copy of the VeriPlan tutorial file:
VeriPlan’s EXPENSES graphic projects your expenses related to living expenses and the taxes that are related primarily to non-asset earned and retirement income. The graphic includes:
* Ordinary living expenses with your real dollar growth rates adjustments
* Major planned expenses with your real dollar growth rates adjustments
* Your federal income taxes, state income taxes, and local income taxes related to earned income and retirement income
* Your federal, state, and local ordinary income taxes on asset income (reinvested interest and short-term capital gains)
* Your tax payments related to FICA (Social Security), Medicare, self-employment, property, real estate, and other non-capital gains taxes
Because ordinary earned income and ordinary asset income tax treatments are similar, VeriPlan combines both earned income and asset income sources here for taxation purposes. Generally, most asset income taxes will be from current interest and dividend payments on cash and bond/fixed income assets. (Note that this graphic excludes investment expenses related to their asset portfolio, which are presented elsewhere on VeriPlan’s asset-related investment efficiency graphics.)
VeriPlan Is Simply The
Best Financial Planning Software
You Can Buy!
Only $57 for a license for ALL your household PCs
… with Free Shipping of the CD within the USA
Full 30-Day, 100% Money Back Guarantee — No Questions Asked
No Support Contract Required
No Need To Buy Upgrades, Since All Parameters Are User-Changeable
VeriPlan is a Great Product, a Great Deal,
and a Great Help with Your Personal Financial Planning.
Thank You Very Much for Your Order!
Note: We mail your VeriPlan CD on the next business day after PayPal has notified us of your order. When your order ships, we will send a shipment notification email to you using the email address supplied by PayPal. VeriPlan is shipped via the USPS, and deliveries typically take 3 to 10 days to arrive.
Tags: personal financial planning
Personal Financial Planning
- Pay Lower Investment Expenses To Get Higher Investment Returns (
Pay Lower Investment Expenses To Get Higher Investment Returns - Part 1
Excessive investment costs are a plague on your personal financial planning.
Excessive investment expenses are one of the most significant barriers to lifelong family financial security. While financial services industry sales people tell you that you need to pay more to get more, the correct [...])
- Determine the Savings You Need for Your Lifetime Financial Goals (You cannot invest without savings. How much savings are enough? ... too little? ... too much?
Currently, the U.S. is experiencing a savings crisis. The net personal savings rate is zero or slightly negative, despite a healthy and growing economy. This situation is a prescription for millions upon millions of future personal financial disasters. (See: [...])
- Developing Fund Authority Scores for ETFs and Mutual Funds (
Select mutual funds and ETFs with the most important economic factors that affect long term, diversified, and risk-adjusted investment fund returns
Good things are born small and grow over time. Regularly, The Skilled Investor evaluates individual mutual funds and ETFs and adds new articles that use the Fund Authority Score rating system. To be alerted when [...])
- Pay Lower Expenses To Get Higher Investment Returns – Part 2 (
Pay lower investment expenses to get higher investment returns
While financial services industry sales people tell you that you need to pay more to get more, the correct answer is the opposite.
Excessive investment costs are a plague on your personal financial planning. Excessive investment expenses are one of the most significant barriers to lifelong family financial [...])
- Choose Sufficiently Mature Mutual Funds and ETFs (Choose sufficiently mature mutual funds and ETFs
Investing in more mature equity and bond mutual funds and exhanged-traded funds (ETFs) allows you to evaluate the historical consistency of a fund's record.
On average, the future portfolio returns of more mature funds are probably no more predictable than for very young funds with a similar style or strategy. [...])
- Your Valuable Assets Are Simply Your Evolving Estate (
Your investment portfolio and other property assets are simply your evolving estate
A previous financial article, “The Solution - ONLY follow financial strategies that are scientific, passive, diversified, savings focused, risk controlled, low cost, and tax efficient,” suggested that investors are much better off with a well-considered financial plan. A stable set of financial beliefs can [...])
- Screening Index Mutual Funds with IndexUniverse.com (Screening index mutual funds on-line with IndexUniverse.com
In this article, The Skilled Investor discusses how to screen index mutual funds on-line. This article focuses on using the free index mutual fund screener and database available at IndexUniverse.com.
We also discuss how to apply our seven scientifically based mutual fund screening criteria.
In a previous article, The Skilled Investor [...])
- The Lifetime Value You Have Lost by Paying Investment Sales Loads (VeriPlan can estimate the lost lifetime value of investment sales loads that you have already paid in the past
Your personal investment portfolio losses related to past investment sales load payments can and should be measured, when you evaluate the cost-efficiency of your investment strategy.
However, you cannot recapture any of the lost returns (past or future) [...])
- Vantagepoint 500 Stock Index mutual fund Class II Shares (VPSKX) rate a +9 Fund Authority Score (Here is some really good news for you. The Skilled Investor has published an article about lower cost S&P 500 index mutual funds that you can read, entitled: Low Cost S&P 500 Index Mutual Funds. The Standard & Poors 500 stock index is the most common equity index fund benchmark in the U.S. The S [...])
- Diversify fully within asset classes – Step 4 of 10 Financial Planning Steps in the Right Direction (CLICK HERE TO READ THE SKILLED INVESTOR's OTHER ARTICLES ABOUT THESE "10 FINANCIAL PLANNING STEPS IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION."
Diversification is genuinely an investment “free lunch,” and it is a key contributor to improved investment risk management.
Diversification has become an axiom of personal investing, because the specific risks of businesses and other investment entities can be [...])
- Avoid High Turnover Mutual Funds and Active ETF Trading (Avoid investment funds with higher investment portfolio turnover
The problem with high turnover is that higher fund trading adds substantial hidden expenses that drag down returns.
Because short-term trading is a zero sum game (before costs) played against other well informed traders, greater turnover is far more likely on average to result in lower fund returns instead [...])
- If Personal Finance is Difficult – Carefully Hire a Good Advisor (
If personal finance is difficult for you, carefully hire a good financial and investment adviser
A previous financial article, “The Solution - ONLY follow financial strategies that are scientific, passive, diversified, savings focused, risk controlled, low cost, and tax efficient,” suggested that investors are much better off with a well-considered financial plan. A stable set of [...])
- American Funds – Capital Income Builder Fund – Class A Shares (CAIBX) attain a +4 Fund Authority Score (Fund Authority Scores rate mutual funds and exchange traded funds (ETFs) on the most important economic factors that influence individual investors' net long term diversified investment fund performance. The Skilled Investor developed the Fund Authority Score system to provide individual investors with concise and objective summaries of mutual funds and ETFs for comparisons within investment [...])
- Set your personal savings and other financial goals – Step 2 of 10 Financial Planning Steps in the Right Direction (CLICK HERE TO READ THE SKILLED INVESTOR's OTHER ARTICLES ABOUT THESE "10 FINANCIAL PLANNING STEPS IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION."
The single most significant financial lever that individuals control directly is their management of personal expenditures. The second is their lifetime effort to obtain sufficient income. Most people simply do not save enough of their current income [...])
- 10 Lower Cost S and P 500 Index Mutual Funds (10 Lower Cost S&P 500 Index Mutual Funds
Regular readers know that The Skilled Investor advocates a very boring, low cost, broad market, passive index investment strategy. Costs less. Gets the broad market return -- whatever that will be. Narrows the range of outcomes and therefore the risk to your long-term personal financial plan. Takes far [...])