Do-It-Yourself Financial Planning – Understand your projected expenses over your lifetime
Increased savings through conscious expenditure reduction is the largest and most controllable factor in long-term personal finance success.
Anyone interested in improving personal financial planning must understand that tracking expenses accurately and comprehensively is very important. Exactly how your expenses are tracked is not so important, as long as the results are relatively accurate. Greater savings through better expenditure control and/or increased income are not abstractions. Whether you will achieve your expenditure and savings goals depends upon your commitment to stay within your budget and upon your accurate measurement of your income, expenditures, and savings.
Along with your efforts to increase earned income, the savings factor largely determines your lifelong financial success or failure by steadily and more substantially feeding a rational investment program. Cleverness in the selection of particular investments is a far, far less reliable, less important, and most often negative factor in long-run personal financial success. (See these three categories of related articles on The Skilled Investor website: Selecting Investment Funds, Financial Decision Rules, and Financial Planning Process)
VeriPlan’s EXPENSES graphic for a professional couple with children
To develop your own highly customized personal financial plan, you can project your lifetime expenditures using VeriPlan. Below is an example of VeriPlan’s EXPENSES graphic, which is automatically and instantly generated for every projection that you make. This particular graphic comes from VeriPlan’s “Sue and Sam Saver” tutorial. This graphic shows Sue and Sam’s projected expenses across their lifecycle in a variety of expense categories, including ordinary living expenses, major planned expenses, and taxes.
Your expenses in VeriPlan will also reflect any projected adjustments that you make. In this case, Sue and Sam are automatically projecting the costs of buying a home in the near term and the costs of sending their two children to college when Sue and Sam are in their early 40′s. Using marginal tax rates, VeriPlan automatically projects federal, state, and local income taxes plus Social Security, Medicare, self-employment, and property taxes.
Demonstrating a comprehensive projection for a professional couple with children, the VeriPlan tutorial can help you to understand what VeriPlan can do. Use this link to download a free copy of the VeriPlan tutorial file:
VeriPlan’s EXPENSES graphic projects your expenses related to living expenses and the taxes that are related primarily to non-asset earned and retirement income. The graphic includes:
* Ordinary living expenses with your real dollar growth rates adjustments
* Major planned expenses with your real dollar growth rates adjustments
* Your federal income taxes, state income taxes, and local income taxes related to earned income and retirement income
* Your federal, state, and local ordinary income taxes on asset income (reinvested interest and short-term capital gains)
* Your tax payments related to FICA (Social Security), Medicare, self-employment, property, real estate, and other non-capital gains taxes
Because ordinary earned income and ordinary asset income tax treatments are similar, VeriPlan combines both earned income and asset income sources here for taxation purposes. Generally, most asset income taxes will be from current interest and dividend payments on cash and bond/fixed income assets. (Note that this graphic excludes investment expenses related to their asset portfolio, which are presented elsewhere on VeriPlan’s asset-related investment efficiency graphics.)
VeriPlan Is Simply The
Best Financial Planning Software
You Can Buy!
Only $57 for a license for ALL your household PCs
… with Free Shipping of the CD within the USA
Full 30-Day, 100% Money Back Guarantee — No Questions Asked
No Support Contract Required
No Need To Buy Upgrades, Since All Parameters Are User-Changeable
VeriPlan is a Great Product, a Great Deal,
and a Great Help with Your Personal Financial Planning.
Thank You Very Much for Your Order!
Note: We mail your VeriPlan CD on the next business day after PayPal has notified us of your order. When your order ships, we will send a shipment notification email to you using the email address supplied by PayPal. VeriPlan is shipped via the USPS, and deliveries typically take 3 to 10 days to arrive.
Tags: investment fund
Personal Financial Planning
- Most Individual Investors Are Poor Personal Portfolio Managers (Most individual investors are poor investment portfolio managers
Investors more easily understand investment costs that are directly measurable, such as fees deducted on investment statements. However, many investors ignore or are unaware of the “opportunity costs” of their sub-optimal investment behaviors. Opportunity costs are usually much more difficult to measure directly, but these investment costs can [...])
- Dodge and Cox Stock Fund (DODGX) picks up a +8 Fund Authority Score (The table below in this article presents The Skilled Investor's Fund Authority Score and other information for the Dodge and Cox Stock Fund (DODGX).
The diversified investment fund strategy of the Dodge and Cox Stock mutual fund (DODGX)
According to its website and its prospectus filing on the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission EDGAR system, the investment [...])
- Commodity Futures in Your Investment Portfolio (Commodity futures in your investment portfolio - Is there really any future for individual investors?
The Skilled Investor's previous article, "Be wary of the new investment asset classes," voiced skepticism about many supposedly new asset classes. This article delves into the financial science behind this skepticism, as it relates to one of these supposedly new asset [...])
- How Many Mutual Funds are Needed for a Well-Diversified Portfolio? – Evidence (Actively-managed mutual funds are not created equally. Performance can vary significantly - even when funds pursue similar strategies or "styles."
This article addresses the impact on portfolio diversification of holding more than one actively-managed mutual fund. (For the companion article to this, see: How many mutual funds are needed for a well-diversified portfolio? – a commentary)
- Nationwide S&P 500 Index Fund – Class A Shares (GRMAX) fetch a +2 Fund Authority Score (Fund Authority Scores rate mutual funds and exchange traded funds (ETFs) on the most important economic factors that influence individual investors' net long term diversified investment fund performance. The Skilled Investor developed the Fund Authority Score system to provide individual investors with concise and objective summaries of mutual funds and ETFs for comparisons within investment [...])
- The Fund Authority Score – A Better Mutual Fund and ETF Rating System (Fund Authority Scores rate mutual funds and ETFs on the most important economic factors influencing long term diversified investment fund performance
The Skilled Investor developed the Fund Authority Score system to provide individual investors with concise and objective mutual fund and ETF comparisons within investment asset classes.
Fund Authority Scores measure investment fund cost, maturity, efficiency, and [...])
- Select investments rationally – Step 6 of 10 Financial Planning Steps in the Right Direction (CLICK HERE TO READ THE SKILLED INVESTOR's OTHER ARTICLES ABOUT THESE "10 FINANCIAL PLANNING STEPS IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION
Given the extremely large number and variety of available securities, investors need a rational basis to select among them. Without rational selection criteria and a good understanding of which factors are more or less likely to increase [...])
- Retirement Savings Needs of Renters Without Financial Planning Improvements (Retirement savings needs of renters prior to any financial planning improvements
Starting to plan with a non-optimal baseline projection
Fran and Fred Frugal, both age 30, are a married working couple with $100,000 in combined annual earned income. They want to understand how valuable different personal finance strategies could be to their lifetime finances and retirement security. [...])
- Part 2 of the Biggest Personal Finance Story of the Past 30 Years (< -- Go to Part 1
The Biggest Personal Finance Story of the Past 30 Years - Part 2
To understand what has happened to the market valuation of the financial services sector, particularly over the last 30 years, you should view Figure 4 on page 16 of the financial study by Jeremy Siegel and Jeremy Schwartz [...])
- Diversify To Avoid Investment Fraud (Another kind of investment diversification that individual investors should consider important relates to the failure or corruption of the financial industry intermediaries and fiduciaries that hold individual investors’ securities.
This meaning of diversification has nothing to do with scientific investment principles related to optimal portfolio diversification. However, it is still very important. Prudent investment practices would [...])
- The Quality and Cost of Advice Paid by Investment Sales Loads (Can you really get free and objective investment advice, when you pay investment sales loads?
Excessive investment expenses are one of the most significant barriers to your family's lifelong financial security.
Excessive investment costs are a plague on your personal financial planning. While financial services industry sales people tell you that you need to pay more to [...])
- Analyze Multiple Personal Financial Planning Decisions Simultaneously with VeriPlan (VeriPlan allows you to analyze multiple personal financial decisions simultaneously
Personal financial and investment decisions are complex, because so many different factors are in play simultaneously. When an integrated financial software application like VeriPlan is developed by people who understand scientific financial projection methods, all these different factors can be measured and automated on a modern [...])
- How Investment Securities Are Valued – Snapshots in Time (
Snapshots in time - How investment securities are valued
Every securities market transaction requires a buyer and seller with differing viewpoints.
Markets can operate, because there are differences between investors in their assessments of the intrinsic value and risk of securities.
Current investment values vary in the eyes of the many beholders of investment market securities. Knowledgeable participants [...])
- Set a Minimum Portfolio Size Threshold for Mutual Funds and ETFs (
Choose mutual funds and ETFs with a minimum economical portfolio size
If you are going to invest in actively managed funds, then you should want them to have a sufficiently large asset base to fund the necessary research.
If an active fund is too small, then fund management quality can suffer or fees could grow. Index funds [...])
- Schwab S&P 500 Index Fund – Select Shares (SWPPX) capture the Best +10 Fund Authority Score (
Fund Authority Scores rate mutual funds and exchange traded funds (ETFs) on the most important economic factors that influence individual investors' net long term diversified investment fund performance. The Skilled Investor developed the Fund Authority Score system to provide individual investors with concise, objective, and realistic summaries of mutual funds and ETFs for comparisons within [...])